• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning/preservation advice.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a bronze bore brush instead of steel wool, or stainless bore brush, it won't be as harsh on the bore, if it is hard packed preservative from the factory as suggested, that will help break it up, foaming bore cleaner does a good job on that goop as well. That stuff will give the patch a thick, goopy look, and tends to look like rust. On the barrel itself, some folks use carnuba based car wax to protect the metal from the elements, on high priced hunting rifles in high humidity climates. Never tried that myself, but heard it does work.

54ball said:
Hydrogen PerOXIDE.

You do not want to clean metal with an oxidizer. So forget about the peroxide.

If it will bleach hair most likely it will rust a barrel.

After cleaning oil real well. Some say the new synthetic motor oils are really close to the old whale oil.

Right on the money :thumbsup:
I have just come home from a BP shoot. I cleaned by taking the barrel out of the stock, then removing the nipple. I then sat the base of the barrel in a bucket of hot water and common dishwashing liquid. A rag on the rod and start pumping. If you try it, you'll see how it works.

swab the bore out with dry patches then a good swab out with WD40. Final couple of patches with light machine oil and it is done. Too easy.

I have been experimenting with a new product called Gunzilla for cleaning my black powder guns and so far it seems to work as advertized although I still am water cleaning until I see that it can be completely trusted to do as it says. It is supposed to work by itself completely free of water.
I just cleaned up my cartridge BP guns tonight after a match today and it gets lead out better than anything else I have tried on a jag and patch alone. It does dissolve BP fouling by itself on the muzzle and front sight that had a good coating after the match.
Since I haven't had the courage to try it exclusively in the bore yet without first water cleaning I cannot absolutely indorse the product at this point but so far it is working really well for me.
It also seems to be doing a nice job at leaving a protective dry coating on the barrel interior. I'll keep an eye on this as I have a bore scope and will be able to tell if there is any deterioration in the protection it is supposed to afford. MD

replace the Hydrogen Peroxide with Amonia.My recipe is: 1 part Murphy's oil, 1 part Ammonia and 1 part Alcohol. Anyhow,
I clean my rifles using this method: grab a pan deep enough as emerse your nipple end of your barrel in, fill it up with room temp. water and add Dawn dish soap. Then use the pump method of cleaning.After cleaning, grab a bottle of alcohol and block the nipple, then dump a little alcohol down the barrel, now plug the muzzle with your finger and swish the alcohol around in the barrel a bit... then dump it out.Run a dry patch down the barrel, then Grab some wd-40 and spray directly into the barrel, not alot...but a little. Then run a patch or two down the barrel. I check the barrel in day or two just in case it would happen to have a slight rust film, so far I have not ever had this issue....I also coat the barrel with somthing called "TAP MAGIK" which is a machining oil, it works well to coat the barrel too. I normally use it after the WD-40 step.
Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back