• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnwolf

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a new custom flinter and an E-Z Flintlock cleaner that I bought at Dixons this year but never used.
I searched the sit but no luck - can anyone direct me to the proper thread?
Finnwolf

With a few mods, you won't use anything else... First thing is to replace the O ring. I used a faucet washer. I hand drilled a hole half way thru the washer that would allow a press fit where the O ring was. Cause the faucet is so hard, I glued on a soft rubber washer onto the face of the faucet washer to give it better grip. Found all the stuff at Home Depot, or was it Lowe's? They all look a like. On the back side I glued on some flexible foam(Dollar Store) because on all my guns, I have to clamp onto the wood to get proper alignment. Weather you are using a cradle or resting the but plate on the ground, keep the hose as short as possible. Also I added some weight to the end to eliminate it moving around..
cleaning004.jpg
cleaning005.jpg
PA226437.jpg

Looks good Sniper - I'm at Lowe's or HD couple times each week. I'll have to pick up a few of the things you mentioned.
I had to go ahead and clean the rifle 'cause I shot it at the range today. First nonhook breech I ever had - been cleaning those for 20 yrs now. I can see how the E-Z cleaner will be the preference though - glad I bought one.

I noticed 1st that since I have no cradle like yours, I had to lay the rifle on a rest trigger down. The E-Z cleaner I have was bought from Dunlap at Dixons and I didn't get it to seal all the way. Lot's of air with the hot soapy water but I did get her clean with a few extra patches.

Looks different from yours - no "hole" on the one corner like yours. Mine must've come later when the figured out how to make it cheaper. I remember a pic of someone doing the cleaning in their driveway - was that you?
Thanks for your help
Finnwolf

I've also discovered that if you "prime" the barrel by pouring water down the barrel and wet the patch it improves greatly the pulling of the water up into the barrel to swab.

I always had a hooked breech gun but now I do not. Can I hear from a few shooters who use the E-Z Flintlock cleaner? I know there's a thread, just can't find it.
Finnwolf

I tried it and didn't care for it. No matter what I did I still got leaks. I think the amount of available flat space on the opposite side of the lock makes a big difference in how well it attaches.

Now I just pull the lock and set the rifle in a holder on towels so that the muzzle is slightly lower than the breech and the vent points down into a rag. I push wet patches up the bore and let the soapy water run out the muzzle.

Like Stumpy, I have tried the clamp-on device with not much luck. I have always been going to modify the thing but so far just clean normally...remove lock, place vent down, put water in the bore and swab with patches until clean. When I was shooting percussion rifles, I made an adapter that replaced the nipple and that worked very nicely.

there is one from muzzleloader building supplies that screws into the vent liner hole. I have a 1/4 x 28 rmc that comes out with a hex wrench This thing is excellant no leak could probably be built from something at Home Depot.

I had one of those cleaner things that screws into vent liner hole. works fine. I am just leery of repeated removal of my vent liner. I have found stumpys method works well for me. I used to use that tool just before I put the gun away for long storage. I seem to shoot all year long now so no long storage. Every body strokes em different.

Unlike some of you, I've not had a problem with the fit. I use it on two rifles and a fowler and it works well snugging up on the flats on the barrel.

Here's my procedure - after removing the lock and attaching the clamp, I place the surgical tubing with the weighted end in a shallow bucket full of clean water while holding the piece with the barrel pointing up and the butt on the ground. I then pour some water from a bottle into the barrel while watching the black yuck flowing from the barrel into the water. Then I wet a patch and run it down the barrel to the bottom and draw it back while water is siphoned back up into the barrel. I run it up and down several times in a scrubbing action, put on a clean patch and scrub some more. I then remove the clamp and run a couple of clean wet patches up and down the barrel followed by a dry one or two. Then I oil the bore up with a patch soaked in olive oil and give some attention to the lock.

I've been doing this for years and the bores look good as new. Works for me.

Sounds easy when you say it Chili. I used it the 1st time the other night I'll try again next time she's dirty and make sure the clamp is tight as can be. I had the gun horizontal and had sealing problems and got as much air in the barrel as water. I could see a few mistakes I was making from Snipers photo

Thanks Stumpy. If you come across that thread, please let me know. I remember it, just cannot find it.

I've never tried the siphon on a flintlock. I just usually use a scraper & dump the fouling out followed by a couple of dry patches which come out with lots of crud attached. I put a toothpick in the flash hole and let the gun stand a few minutes with soapy water in the barrel. After sloshing and pouring it out I just do basically what most of you do; wet & dry patches, dry bore & oil. Then the lock, of course. Takes me a while to clean it but sorry to say I'm just flat out old fashion country slow. :grin:

cmdrted said:
there is one from muzzleloader building supplies that screws into the vent liner hole. I have a 1/4 x 28 rmc that comes out with a hex wrench This thing is excellant no leak could probably be built from something at Home Depot.

Yep, one can be made with a zerk fitting and some tubing. Just use a zerk fitting with the same threads as the vent liner and drill it out. Push the tubing over the fitting.

Been slowly assembling the supplies to build a flusher that you can set a barrel on muzzle down and hydro-blast the breech area with soap/neutralizer followed by clean water. Still figuring the design based upon what gets scrounged up. And the toughy, how to make it work with different bores and lengths barrels.
A four foot hand held hard plastic wand hooked up to the hose is a lot simpler but I'd like to be able to adjust the mix (just like fertilizing the yard) and use hot water to end up with hot iron.

Well like Stumpy I tried those thingys that are sold.
Wasn´t happy with them.

For MLs without a powder-chamber (not sure about the right word, sorry) I just wipe them with wet patches till they come out clean.
The others (all Pedersolis for example got that powder chamber) are cleaned with a tube that used to be sold here for cleaning the drain. :shocked2: It´s a tube you can screw on the faucet on one end, and on the other end it´s got a thin brass jet. This thin hole causes a bit pressure. :grin:
I just hold the barrel muzzle down and let the tube and and warm water do the job... :thumbsup:

Thanks Stumpy - that's the thread I was searching for. I remember the driveway photo.

Finnwolf

Latest posts

Back