• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way to clean my rifle.No matter how I clean I get rust a few days later.Just wanted to see how anyone else does it.

What are you using to clean your gun? Just soap and water, or one of the store bought things?

Also, after drying the bore it needs a good protectorate to keep air away from the metal.

I've found that Birchwood Casey Barricade or Sheath are excellent products that keep the cleaned metal from rusting.

Barricade also drys so it doesn't require removal before shooting.

EDP1 said:
What is the best way to clean my rifle.No matter how I clean I get rust a few days later.Just wanted to see how anyone else does it.

attach a rubber hose to a second nipple and screw it in, pinch the unattached end closed. Pour in Boiling hot water with dishwashing soap 3/4 full and scrub with a brass brush on your rod (3 or 4 times should do it). Let water out and repeat untill water comes out clean. Remove nipple, turn rifle over and let water and moisture out (about 1 hour)oil barrel (inside and out, I use wd 40), oil nipple and screw in, use quite abit of oil when doing this (gets rid of any moisture left in the rifle), store rifle upside down overnight (lets the oil run out thats to much).
wala....clean rifle

I eventually had surface rust until I started applying Barricade.

boiling water causes flash rust..condensation off barrel as it cools warm water will work jus as well. but still need somethin in barrel after cleaning...lube oil wd/40 barricade sheath ..jus wipe out before you load....

I will have to try barricade when I am done with the hoppes "9 and lucas gun oils. I range clean with patch lube-and patch, at home, wash with water and dish soap, brush, rinse with a faucet and warm water, dry with dry patches oil and done. I stopped using a tea kettle of boiling water, it is dramatic but causes flash rust like mentioned earlier.

I have used hot water and soap and some store bought stuff.It always seems that after a day or 2 I get a little rust looks like it is in the corner of the rifling.I have been oiling after cleaning with hoppes 9 oil.

Ditto to what Trench and Zonie said. Barricade is great for preventing rust after cleaning. I converted to Hoppes #9 BP Solvent and Patch Lube for cleaning followed by Barricade. Have not had rust since.
:thumbsup:

Some use boiling hot water or hot water. As RC said, hot water will cause flash rust. For some reason, some don’t seem to experience flash rust but I sure did when I first started in muzzleloading and it was suggested I use hot water. If you’re using hot water, that just may be where your rust is coming from. Secondly, if the bore is not completely dry before oiling, it will rust. I use tepid water to keep flash rust at bay and dry out residual water with a little isopropyl alcohol and a couple dry patches.

You probably already know this, but you will need to follow with a good gun oil (which you should remove prior to shooting). I see a couple folks recommended barricade, but any good gun oil will do for a few weeks storage. Some are more picky about gun oil, and I would be too if I was storing guns for a LONG term. I have a couple guns stored with breakfree CLP that I check every few months and they have no signs of rust.

This is definitely not tradional :shocked2:

Just before oiling and after running some dry patches down the bore, I use my wife's hairdryer to blow hot air in at the nipple and clean out screw. Gets the breach nice and hot.

Shhhh. Don't tell her! :yakyak:

I won't tell her although your method gives you a good excuse to go out and buy a hot air paint removal gun. You can never have enough toys!
Also, using the heat gun will keep you from having to sleep in the dog house when your wife finds out that you've been using HER VALUABLE STUFF for your stinky old black powder guns. :rotf:

As many of you know, I always remove the barrel from my ML rifles when I clean them.
This allows me to really dry out the breech/nipple area on the barrels.

After cleaning the barrel and wiping it dry I take the barrel into the kitchen and hold the breech over the flame on my gas kitchen stove.

After a minute or so, I can see the water bubbling out of the drum threads or vent liner threads as it turns to steam.
At this stage, I stop heating the barrel and wipe the bore and the area around the drum threads or vent liner with a liberal coating of Barricade.
I think the hot barrel helps the Barricade flow down into the threads.

Grullaguy said:
This is definitely not tradional :shocked2:

Just before oiling and after running some dry patches down the bore, I use my wife's hairdryer to blow hot air in at the nipple and clean out screw. Gets the breach nice and hot.

Shhhh. Don't tell her! :yakyak:

she caught ya using the clothes dryer? :shocked2:

I find the best thing to clean my rifle is warm to hot water with a drop or two of soap. And then make sure the bore is dry and then oiled with the old GI gun oil. Then before shooting wash the petrolium oil out with a few alcohol soaked patches. :idunno:

Just recently getting involved with muzzle loading I did as advised by my hunting buddies.
99% of what they told me was right on and is as described above. The only thing I changed was the after cleaning rust protection choice. I use Barricade as well and have been very pleased with results. I clean with hot tap water with dish soap. After drying with patches and a patch with isopropal alcohol I use a patch with Barricade on it. A day or so after the cleaning I check for any rust. Rarely there is any, but if there is, another patch with Barricade and it's set for an extend period of time.

i use cold water. most times right out of the creek at the range. plug the touch hole,fill the barrel and let set a few minutes. pull the tooth pick and force water out the touch hole with the frizzen closed( everything is coated good so no worries). dry with a few patches then i really scrub the bore with at least two oily patches.

I swab my barrel dry then blow into it as hard as I can--usually get a drop or 2 of water the swab missed out the vent or nipple hole then lube it :hatsoff:

I use an old hair dryer after cleaning to make sure the bore is dry before I swab it with Barricade.

You think that's bad I got busted with some modern gun parts in the dish washer.
She didn't see the humour in it either. :confused:
And yes you do get flash rust in the dish washer.
Thanks for the info on cleaning, Im going to use the rubber hose on a nipple on the ones I don't take the barrel out of the stock. :hatsoff:

Trevor

Latest posts

Back