• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO2 Cartridges to Clear Barrel Obstructions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndbilly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As a member of the "Damn, how am I going to get that unstuck?" fraternity, I was hoping the membership might have the answers to the following:

Have seen a number of references to these devices but have never seen one on the shelf at a gun shop. What's the best source? How expensive are they? How are they usually sold - individually or in packages of two, three, six? Most importantly, how long can they be kept without losing their effectiveness? From the number of posts regarding stuck charges or uncharged balls or ramrods it looks like it would be a wise investment.

Thank you, gentlemen.

ndbilly,
for the money it's nice to have one around. they come with different adaptors. unless you can find one in the store cabela's price is about standard. i've even seen them at wal-mart during b/p season. the co2 cartriges are fairly inexspensive and can be found almost anywhere. hope this helps.
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

As a member of the "Damn, how am I going to get that unstuck?" fraternity, I was hoping the membership might have the answers to the following:

Have seen a number of references to these devices but have never seen one on the shelf at a gun shop. What's the best source? How expensive are they? How are they usually sold - individually or in packages of two, three, six? Most importantly, how long can they be kept without losing their effectiveness? From the number of posts regarding stuck charges or uncharged balls or ramrods it looks like it would be a wise investment.

Thank you, gentlemen.

You can get the CO2 discharger at any good bicycle shop. Road cyclists have used these for years, for inflating tires after fixing flats, and this is why why they were originally developed. Muzzleloaders have just borrowed the technology. You still would need to buy the nipple or vent adapter which you can find online. CO2 cartridges can be purchased almost anywhere they sell BB guns. You can only count on using the discharger once per cartridge, maybe twice.

Another alternative is to use your air compressor with a standard blow nozzle that has a rubber tip. You simply hold the rubber tip onto the nipple, or against the vent hole, and a shot of compressed air will blow the load out. My compressor is regulated to deliver 100psi to the hose and that expels a patched ball with quite a bit of force so you could get by with less pressure.

sabinajiles, I have tried the aircompressor almost everytime I read about it on the internet. It has not worked for me yet. I have tried the cone shaped rubber nozzle on the flinters and I have tried it with or withour the nipple on the cap guns. I have tried all the way to 150psi. I did not have a ball stuck just trying to be lazy and remove a lubed and loaded patched ball without shooting it out and cleaning the gun. I am going to own one of them C02 dischargers. I have seen them work.

I use my air compressor. Mine is also set at 100psi.
Yesterday I had a load that didn't want to come out. All I did was run a well oiled patch down bore to lube it up and out she came with a pop!
If you have a compressor I say don't give up on it. Try lubing the bore ahead of the load.

Huntin

sabinajiles, I have tried the aircompressor almost everytime I read about it on the internet. It has not worked for me yet. I have tried the cone shaped rubber nozzle on the flinters and I have tried it with or withour the nipple on the cap guns. I have tried all the way to 150psi. I did not have a ball stuck just trying to be lazy and remove a lubed and loaded patched ball without shooting it out and cleaning the gun. I am going to own one of them C02 dischargers. I have seen them work.

Yes, the CO2 dischargers do work. I have one that I used to inflate bicycle tires for years before I bought an adapter to use on my muzzleloaders. Buy the cartridges in a box of 25 from Walmart nad they cost you about 50 cents each. The CO2 gives off a very high pressure initially, which drops quickly as the liquid in the cartridge is expelled, which is why you can only really count on using each cartridge once. The initial pressure will depend on temperature. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but if I remember my physics right, at romm temperatures of 70 degrees or higher, it is probably between 700-800 psi.

As out a huntin' said, he tightness of your patch and ball and the type of lube can certainly effect how well an air compressor would work as a discharger. Also, make sure you have as high of pressure as you can get at the nozzle. Most air compressors have a regulator that limits the pressure to the hose. Even if the pressure gauge in the tank reads 150 psi, you may not have that at the nozzle. The regulator will be on the output side, before the hose, and most are adjustable, although most won't allow you to deliver much over 100 psi.

ndbilly: I pick up one a year ago on e bay,seem t/c model which are no longer made ,they work great worth every penny.

The compressor is set up to regulate for power tools. bead blasters, etc. I regulate the output very easily, so that is what is am doing tank pressure maybe allot higher. I have tried it with both Lehigh lubed patchs and with Bore Butter lubed patches.

Had a load that needed removing and used a hand powered bike pump to push it out. First took the nipple off and soaked the load in hot water. Didn't want to take a chance dieseling off any oil and have the gun going off in my basement. Took a bike valve stem from a tube and reamed the tube end to fit the nipple. Pushed the valve stem hard onto the nipple and held it on. Gave it three pumps and that ball came flying right out. Do not stand in front of one of these! Made me want to make a 50 caliber air rifle. Anyone ever make one? GC

Thanks for the advice, but please don't change the subject line (ie)from CO2 ball discharger, to Bike pump works too. It gets confusing trying to keep up with the thread if you do.

Latest posts

Back