• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold Steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind'a small but nice and light. Good for trekking or just carrying on a hunt. It has the hammer head for pounding in tent pegs too. For more tomahawks take a look at Fort Turner. www.fortturner.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Cold Steel frontier hawk and stamped in the side of the blade in large letters it said 'TAIWAN'. If I'm going to buy another hawk, I'd much rather support the sutlers that support us with a hand made, american made product instead some trash made in Taiwan, China or Pakistan.
Just my 2 cents worth .... which isn't worth much anyway.
Ohio Rusty >

Rusty, i agree. not that all the stuff make in Tiawan is junk, or all the stuff made in USA is great, but let's keep our discretionary dollars flowing in a discreet direction.

just one guy's opinion, and probably worth what you paid for it.

make good smoke

I have one and I love it! I took the factory fish off and browned it and did some file work along the top. I burned rings around the handle, decorated it with brass tacks and stained it dark. May not be PC/HC but it suits me. Very light and easy to throw.

Warren :v

I love my Trailhawk too. Like Warren, I played around with "antiquing" it. No, its not PC, just a lot of fun, cuz its made to take abuse. Heck, just watch the goofy video of them using it at the cold steel webpage.

The cheap Cold Steel stuff is made out of decent carbon steel, usually 1065 or one of the other 10xx steels. The prices should tellyou that they are NOT madein the USA :wink: Fortunately, you guys haven't had the displeasure of reading some of the back and forth that goes on inthe knife forums about Lynn Thompson, the owner. Some of the folks that don't like him call the company Cold Steal. LOL I have one of the Cold Steel boar spears, which I have used for it's intended purpose. I can't really sepak about the hawks, but obviosly, you aren't getting an Daniel Winkler or Joe Szilaski custom piece at that price point. :shake: As a custom maker, I would encourage everyone to do the "buy American" thing AND go one step further and spend the extra money on occasion and buy something from a individual craftsman.

I have not tried a trail hawk, but I sell the Cold Steel Frontier Hawks from my sutler tent. What I noticed on the Frontier upon close inspection after a forging mishap, is that the blade is actually welded onto the base. We sometimes throw them in the forge to reshape them for a specific handle and sometimes just to artificially age them (on request)or heat treat the cutting edge. Last week my son got one a little to hot and on the first hammer strike the blade fell off!

I will say they hold an edge and throw well with a little tinkering.

I'am a knife dealer and a backwoodsman. I have to say that I have been very impressed with every cold steel product that I have picked up. I have also sold alot of them w/o any complaints. I throw and carry the bigger riflemans hawk been real tickled with it I did remove the finish. I know it stinks that they are made over seas :( but I like thier stuff. - RV

Back