• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain turkey barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Does anyone use a Colerain barrel with turkey choke? I've had good results with mine, would like to compare loads if you use one.

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
makeumsmoke said:
Capt Fred and I teamed up on this load..lubed ticking patch shot cup..
I read through that topic, a good discussion. I see that you guys have put a lot of effort into that load, and it's obviously a good one. Mine is more simple but has worked very well for me. I use 80 grains FFFg Goex, then two 1/8" card wads with a dollop of lube between them, 95 grains equivalent (1 1/2 oz.) of #6 plain lead shot and a thin overshot card wad. I sometimes use only 1 card wad and add a .5" lubricated cushion wad, but can't tell much difference in the patterns. Here are patterns at 25-30-35 yards using life size turkey targets. They represent fairly average patterns. Counting only shots hitting the skull or spine as lethal, there are 24 at 25 yards, 17 at 30 yards and 9 at 35 yards. In actual hunting I've killed over a dozen birds with this load, mostly in the 30-35 yard range, but 2-3 were out at 40 yards.

Turkey25.jpg

Turkey30.jpg

Turkey35.jpg

Spence

Spence thanks for sharing!Sounds like I need to hunt closer to you..Birds were thin this spring.
Do you get a leading issue with those loads?,,have you shot more than once or twice with out the pattern degrading? This is the only barrel I have a leading issue with due to the tight choke. Very happy with the Colerain turkey choked barrel.

makeumsmoke said:
Do you get a leading issue with those loads?,,have you shot more than once or twice with out the pattern degrading? This is the only barrel I have a leading issue with due to the tight choke. Very happy with the Colerain turkey choked barrel.
Leading hasn't been a problem for me, but I am not a fair test of that problem. I load my gun the night before opening day and only shoot it If I see a bird during the next 3 weeks. If I don't get a shot I pull the load. So, I basically always shoot with a clean barrel with this gun.

When I first got the gun I was concerned about getting 20 ga. wads through a 24 ga. muzzle without a lot of hassle. That was not a problem, I found that I can bend the wads a bit over the ramrod and they will slip down easily, then straighten up and flatten out when rammed.

I agree, this is a very impressive barrel. It will reach out and touch them. :) I haven't been hunting turkeys for about 6-7 years, need to get out this fall.

Spence

Back