• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado Bear Hunters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I just applied for a unit 84 bear tag ( either sex) They only had 10 left so it felt pretty good to get one on the first try!! Now i have never hunted bear, nor do i know jack squat about bear hunting. Bear baiting is not legal. AKA, bait/food/smoke sticks that smell like food. I guess the only lure thats legal is urine, if they even are attracted to that.

Besides spot and stalk, does anyone have good tips for hunting bear up here in colorado?

For years, we've always run across their scat but never a live bear.

Concentrate on food sources. They're downright bothersome around apple orchards. If there's a good mast crop, check those areas.

A few years back while bow hunting elk in unit 33 I ran into a local hunter. In our conversation he mentioned he had a bear tag and I asked him the same questions as yours. He said, if the weather is warm stay up high, look for wild berries particularly blueberries. A good blueberry crop is a bear magnet according to this gent. Finally he mentioned to be aware of any previous kills on elk. In the high country hunters, as you know, will bone out their kill and leave the remains on the mountain. Apparently Colorado deems it illegal to intentionally put out bait but a naturally occuring food source, including a rotting elk carcass, is perfectly legal to hunt over.

John

Besides spot and stalk, does anyone have good tips for hunting bear up here in colorado?

I recommend that you get a small book written by Tom Beck. Beck was the DOW bear researcher for many years and contributed just about all knowledge available from the DOW regarding Colorado Bears. Sorry I don't remember the title right off. He was from your part of the state, BTW.

Beck documented colorado bear feeding habits and found that in late August through late September Colorado bears migrate to areas with heavy stands of oak brush (assuming an acorn crop) as well as areas with crops of serviceberrys, chockcherries, etc. These areas are generally at elevations of 6,500 feet to about 8,000 feet. He found that bears would travel many many miles to get to these feeding hot spots and are inclined to feed continuosly for up to 18 hours per day.

Females go into hibernation very shortly thereafter and males a bit later. Bears tend to hibernate at higher elevations where snow will cover their entryways. Beck found that bears not so protected were heavily preyed upon during the winter by coyotes which were able to kill them easily while in hibernatory stupor.

You can see that the best time to hunt bears is during the September bear rifle season or with an Archery or ML bear tag.

Finding lots (lots and lots) of bear scat in an area means it is one of their fall feeding areas. You have to be there when the bears are there. If you are there later in the fall the bears have cleared out.

An area that I have bowhunted in September for many years is a hotspot for bears in September. Seeing them was not uncommon. The past five years I have hunted the area in early October during rifle elk only season and the evidence of bears is huge as it always has been. We don't often see bears there in October even though they are common in September. Last year was an exception with three bears spotted on opening morning of rifle elk season. The thing that was different was the serviceberry crop was still viable and available last year whereas other years the weather has usually knocked them out by early October.

We have never seen bears on the entrails of our kill sites. Within 48 hours the coyotes have completely consumed everything where we hunt.

He said, if the weather is warm stay up high, look for wild berries particularly blueberries. A good blueberry crop is a bear magnet according to this gent.

Having grown up a Yooper with considerble familiarity with black bears and blueberries, I can say that with over thirty years of hunting, fishing and camping in colorado I have never seen a blueberry plant in this state. That includes unit 33. He may have been refering to serviceberries which are common in Colorado, but not at higher elevations. They occur more in the lower elevations between sage and quakies.

Up here we are allowed to bait but once the acorns fall you can forget about it, the bears stick to the oaks and gorge themselves on acorns, they won't hit any other bait. I find bears in every big stand of berries prior to that.

While MLer elk hunting in Colorado we often would "revisit" a kill site and most of the time saw black bears feeding on the pile or evidence that they had been there.In fact, my son saw 3 bears all feeding on the same pile at the same time. Another time my son shot an elk, came back to camp for help and then we couldn't find the gutted out carcass because he hadn't "flagged" high enough up the slope and while searching, we saw 2 bears just standing, went over to where they had stood and presto...there was the elk. Gut piles are good, legal places to wait for a bear......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard but never tried it, you could pour honey all over yourself. Another is to dress up in a lamb outfit and say baa baa alot. I don't know if that would be considered baiting or not.

Kentuckywindage said:
I just applied for a unit 84 bear tag ( either sex) They only had 10 left so it felt pretty good to get one on the first try!! Now i have never hunted bear, nor do i know jack squat about bear hunting. Bear baiting is not legal. AKA, bait/food/smoke sticks that smell like food. I guess the only lure thats legal is urine, if they even are attracted to that.

Spot and stalk is your best method for taking a CO bear.
Unit 84 has great bear hunting and good scrub oak.
What season?
this will determine their movement. You will spend hours behind your spotting scope but in unit 84 there is a ton of open hill sides, also look for dead animals, use birds to find carcasses(magpies,jays etc...) and if you are lucky enough to find a kill sit on it day and night watching your wind.
CO bear hunting is the real deal, you kill a bear here and you are! a hunter.
you can also ask locals if they have a problem bear and find it's travel rout to and from public land and sit on that.
I took me almost a month to pattern a bear I shot a few years ago, once you get away from bait piles and tree stands you will relize that it's a whole different ball game.
:thumbsup:

newpics025.jpg

newpics024.jpg

got the tag for muzzleloading season sept 12-20th. I'll be doing some scouting in august and will be sure to check around up there. Probably be a good idea to hide out near the yuppie camp grounds and watch a trash can, im sure a bear will be there :haha:

Speed Trap said:
Get yourself a varmit call and blow on it

Or a lost calf elk call, I have called in a few bears over the years doing that wile calling elk in during bow season.

Kentuckywindage said:
got the tag for muzzleloading season sept 12-20th. I'll be doing some scouting in august and will be sure to check around up there. Probably be a good idea to hide out near the yuppie camp grounds and watch a trash can, im sure a bear will be there :haha:

That would be my first choice season!
In sept the bears are on a 20 hour feeding frenzy covering as much as 20 to 30 miles a day looking for food.
Amen on the yuppy camp, I guarantee where there is loose trash and idiot campers there are bears.
You can even call the local Division of wild life and ask about problem bears.
You can't of coarse hunt over a dumpster but you can ambush in between food and bed.
Good luck I hope to see some good hunting pics when I get out of muzzlerloader camp in Sept
:v

Serviceberries? I stand corrected...but then again in my limited time in Colorado I don't recall actually seeing any "blue berries". What is a serviceberrie and what does it look like? a good point of knowledge to learn on my part.

John

Serviceberries? I stand corrected...but then again in my limited time in Colorado I don't recall actually seeing any "blue berries". What is a serviceberrie and what does it look like? a good point of knowledge to learn on my part.

Serviceberrys grow on a large bush not at all like a blueberry bush. The are usually well over head high and are pretty thick. The berries are purple with the size varying with the weather of the year. They could be as small as a wild blueberry in a poor growing year or as large as a thumbnail in a good growing year. They are edible and very tasty. If the frost has not gotten to them they make a nice snack during the September hunting seasons.

They attract a variety of animals including bears. Grouse will be found around them too. In colorado they grow at elevations ranging from about 7000 to 8000 feet but it can vary with local moisture and sun exposure.

Last year the crop was still viable in the second week of October where I hunt elk and probably explains the concentration of bears that are not usually seen there at that time of year. It's possible that other food sources were not as good last year making the berries an important alternative. Oak brush is thick and common about 15 to 20 miles south of this area and maybe the acorns failed driving the bears to the berries.

You may not have service berrys in IL but if you ever make trips to the eastern portion of the UP you will find them very common in the eastern portion of the peninusla close to lake Superiour from the Sable dunes to the St Mary's Rapids (the locks). Up there the bushes tend to grow much taller than CO. Some are more like trees up to five inches in diameter and 15 to 20 feet tall. The berries there tend to be larger than those in the west.

Here are a couple pics

images

images

Latest posts

Back