• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

Just learned how to post my photos! !

I always enjoy seeing everyone's adventures.

I Got to hunt M/L elk in Colorado in September.

Drew a cow tag.

Shot this girl on the second day and chased bulls with my partner for the rest of the week.

It felt doublly good because I built the .62 cal rifle just for the hunt.

Had a great time!

Colorado026.jpg

Hope to post more for you all.

Greg

I'd like to see some close ups of that rifle it looks real nice. I almost hd my virginia rifle built with a .62 cal barrel but opted for the .58 instead. I still might build a mark silver in .62, I've got a long wish list though.

Outstanding..great pictures..

You are a man of few words!..We need details..rifle build..load ..shot distance..this is as close as I will get to an elk hunt this year..please feed the need. I really enjoy hearing about others hunts !...Thanks in advance...Dan

Your hunt sure went better than mine! :shocked2:

Congratulations on making some really good meat!

We hunted in SW CO. Between Pagosa Springs and Durango.

It was a drop camp deal. Hunted between 9,400 and 10,000 ft.

There was a lot more under growth than I expected. Kinda like PA.

We were still hunting the timber along a big side when we spotted her on a bench below us. Could'nt see more than bits of her for a few minutes. ID'ed her as a cow, and waited for her to move.

She was about 70 yard and down hill. I had a good rest against a tree and she took a step forward that exposed her high sholder. That was all I needed.

Smacked her hard and she went down. My partner had her in the glass while I reloaded. He kept saying she's down but not dead.

I was sure I must have spined her. Couldn't get the follow up shot. Too thick. I circled in on her but she was up and outta there plunging into the cover. Got one look at her going over the edge. Relaoded and snuck up to peek over. She was only about 60 yards down on the next little bench.

Put a finisher into her.

My first shot was on target. High sholder blade. The ball must have got the tops of both lungs cause she couldn't go far.

We started to skin and quarter. Did the impact side first. When we rolled her over I patted her sholder and could feel the ball right under hide.

The ball had gone through both sholder blades.

I shot all summer at all yardages between 20 and 100. Hoped for a 50 to 75 yard shot. Didn't need to even think about it when she showed me that high sholder. That was all I needed.

I was shooting a .610 patched round ball. Around 330 grains I believe. 110 grains of Goex FF.

We had her skinned, quartered, boned and bagged in 2 hours. Hung in another hour.

A wrangler came up the next morning to get the meat out and down to a locker plant.

The bulls really started bugling as the week went on. We had some really close encounters but just couldn't get em' to take those last steps needed.

Really a great hunt. Hiked our @#sses off all week. Lots of miles in the dark.

You know . . FUN ! ! !

Thanks All

ElkBall003.jpg

I did most of my MLer elk hunting northwest of Durango. Nice cow and a lot of good eating. Just being in that country is a reward in itself and shooting an elk is a real bonus, especially in Sept....Fred

Thank you for the details..wish I was there!Great hunt..your homework paid off!....Dan

Nice job! In the early '70's I lived in Durango and hunted around the same area you hunted, sure miss that country. One of these days I'm going to have to go back there in the fall and do a elk hunt. Here's to you :thumbsup: !

Back