• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1851 Navy—120 yards?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the capandball youtube M De Land was talking about. And yes, he's tapping the wedge with his flask.

Yes, we talked extensively about it several months back. He DOESN'T tap the wedge when shooting the longer ranges. There's no break from shot to shot so no editing.
You guess the wedge swelled up and got tighter?
It's just like my friend's Navy in the pic I posted.

Mike

COULD it be done sure. But practically speaking you’re going to be dropping like a rock and that little .36 ball only has as much energy as a .380 at the muzzle. At 120 it wouldn't be hitting hard at all. Lethal sure but not hard.
If it’s lethal at 120, doesn’t that mean it hits pretty hard?

I’m writing a frontier novel set in 1870. One of my characters is an exceptionally gifted marksman, and has a Colt 1851 Navy revolver. In one scene, he is in a gunfight with an opponent at 100-120 yards.

I read that this gun’s effective firing range is about 75 yards. In a work of fiction, is it *plausible* to hit an 8-inch target (a person’s face) at 100-120 yards with the Colt Navy? Or is that completely absurd?

I may shorten the distance to 90 yards. But I’m wondering how much distance I can get away with before it becomes silly.
Remember that kid's toy, the Elastic Man, or Rubber Guy? You could stretch him, from a comic book tale? That distance meets that criteria! :)Just being friendly-joking, but knowledgeable readers will be questioning the author! Good luck with the book, truly. I've often questioned the actual modern distance the Rev War writers-participants left us concerning the distances shot by the Riflemen; 400 yards, 300 yards, etc. Not sayin' it couldn't happen, but.....

Remember that kid's toy, the Elastic Man, or Rubber Guy? You could stretch him, from a comic book tale? That distance meets that criteria! :)Just being friendly-joking, but knowledgeable readers will be questioning the author! Good luck with the book, truly. I've often questioned the actual modern distance the Rev War writers-participants left us concerning the distances shot by the Riflemen; 400 yards, 300 yards, etc. Not sayin' it couldn't happen, but.....
Hey, appreciate that! As a writer my attitude is, it doesn’t have to be 100% realistic, but it should at least be plausible.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone somewhere will post a link for the Hungarian "cap and ball" guy where he shoots the early (around 1963) Uberti Navy revolver 100 meters to show how accurate it is with its fast twist rifling-
Screenshot_20240814_120408_Chrome.jpg

and it's early engraving-
20240419_150650.jpg

just like my friend's early Uberti
revolver (1960) shown here next to the revolver the Hungarian guy uses in the video-
Screenshot_20240814_024050_Chrome.jpg

so we might be able to determine if the arbor is of correct length like my friend's revolver (of the same era) which would lead one to reasonably conclude that the wedge is too worn to remain tight and subsequently (apparently) replaced since he doesn't continue tapping the wedge in after every shot with his flask like we discussed months ago . . .
Maybe that would be a good thing.

It may also show the op that 100 yard shots are definitely doable!!

Hope springs eternal !

Mike

This is great, thanks! What does that mean, tapping the wedge with his flask? I'm a newbie to all this.
You can see in the beginning of the video where he’s shooting at 25 meters he’s using his copper powder flask to tap on the side of the gun. The wedge is there.

You could hit it but at that range given the 51’s powder capacity that lil .36 might just bounce off a thick coat 😜
I agree - I have shot a 38 s&w (not 38 special) and hit steel turkeys at 100 yds but the round did not have enough power to knock them over - turned them to the side - where as 45 LC would slam them down.

Shooting from 120 yards with a .36 Navy, the ball will hit with the approximate force of a thrown pebble of the same size, on a high trajectory. Hopalong Cassidy used to regularly shoot the gun out of a bad guy's hand, shooting from the hip from the back of a running horse too, but only in the movies. So did Tom Mix, and I didn't believe that either. Sure -- it could happen, once maybe -- but if it did, in real life somebody would fetch a rifle and blow the shooter out of his boots. By the way, I've seen the ground in Deadwood where Hickock shot Tutt and while I didn't measure it, I'm guessing the range was closer to 75 feet than 75 yards in that muddy street. Shooting with a handgun at a head-size target at long range would stretch the skills of a Bill Jordan, especially with the target shooting back. Being shot at tends to discombobulate your concentration and kick your adrenaline levels into overload.

It’s supposedly to tighten the loose wedge (a contentious subject here) The way he taps so consistently to me makes me think he might be doing it to simply ensure consistency from shot to shot. Why only at 20 meters and bench rested? Why not at 50-100 meters offhand? We don’t know.
PS I wonder if it’s because he’s shooting a group at 20 meters vs hitting a gong at further distances. I’m just speculating.

I’m writing a frontier novel set in 1870. One of my characters is an exceptionally gifted marksman, and has a Colt 1851 Navy revolver. In one scene, he is in a gunfight with an opponent at 100-120 yards.

I read that this gun’s effective firing range is about 75 yards. In a work of fiction, is it *plausible* to hit an 8-inch target (a person’s face) at 100-120 yards with the Colt Navy? Or is that completely absurd?

I may shorten the distance to 90 yards. But I’m wondering how much distance I can get away with before it becomes silly.

If movies can have a gunfighter shoot 8,9, 10 times or more with a six gun without reloading I am sure your gunfighter can hit a man at 120 yards and drop him dead.

Back