• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

colt cochise dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breech

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Im in need of some colt info.A friend of mine back in 2000 bought a colt 3rd dragoon called a cochise model.It is new and unturned and is a cased edition with wooden box,Combo tool,powder flask,bullet mold and cap tin all marked colt.He offered it sell it to me for 750.00 and although the gun is very pretty with the gold horses,buffalos,and engravings also has buffalo horn handles with cochises face engraved in the grips.Im no colt expert actually no nothing about them.Could someone tell me if this is a good buy or should I let it go.Thanks any info would be appreciated as I dont want to make a mistake but also do like the gun and would like to have it if its worth the money.

Well, The Gun Shop in Lillburn, Ga., lists the Colt Cochise Dragoon, presentation box and all accessories for a total of $1,447.50.
His offer of $750 is suspiciously low.
If I were you, I'd get the serial number of it and have the police run it through, to ensure it's not stolen. I'm not saying your friend is a thief, but he may have got it at a good deal from unscrupulous sources.
I just can't believe he wants to get rid of a custom gun at nearly half its current sales price.
Now, The Gun Shop may be high but I can't believe it's THAT high. By the way, I found the Colt Cochise Dragoon right away on an internet search. You can do the same to get an idea of its current value or sales price.

Well the gun isnt hot.He bought it off gunbroker back in 2000 never did tell me what he give for it but says hes takin a beatin on it for 750.00.He was hurt in an accident at work and hasnt gotten any money from it yet and bein x-mas well you know the rest.Only thing is 750.00 is alot for me to spend on a gun thats too pretty to shoot and I know it dont matter what it cost new you know how these things are some models go up some go down.I was under the impresion they didnt make these anymore which supprised me when you found them so easily on the net.Still what Im lookin for is a colt person to tell me if it is a good investment or not.

My copy of the Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms, the latest edition, shows a value of $995.00 for one of these in 100% condition. New price was $1295.00 and they were made from 1997 to 2002. They aren't all that rare. Unless you are going to get into collecting, I think I'd spend my money on a Second Generation Walker or do some careful shopping at gun shows and get a pair of Second Gen Navies or Armies. Instead of a gaudy paper weight, you wind up with shootable revolvers. And it's worth remembering that the Cochise issue is based on the Signature Series. Quality and I use the term reluctantly, was spotty to say the least on this series. Many of them appear to have been assembled by blind and drunken orangutans in need of glasses
and using sledge hammers and explosive devices. And those were the good ones. Anyway, good luck.

I have a Colt signature series General Custer w/75% engraving with all the options as above and have it priced at $900. for all and still waiting for a buyer.

I have a Colt signature series General Custer w/75% engraving with all the options as above and have it priced at $900. for all and still waiting for a buyer.

I think this says something which is sometimes overlooked by someone buying a "special" gun as an investment.

When all is said and done, the gun is only worth what someone will pay for it.
With special guns, one may have to wait a long time for the person who wants to buy it and is willing to pay a fair price.

Sure, you can find buyers everywhere who will gladly give you a lot less than it's worth (or you paid for it), but people who recognize the value and are willing to pay it are few and far between. :(

Another thing to consider is these special engraved factory guns are basically unshootable.
Oh, sure they will shoot, but in doing so, the gun may become damaged (like the blueing being worn away on the cylinder by a faulty or mistimed Cylinder Stop. If something like that happens, the value of the gun is greatly reduced.

Just something to think about. ::

When all is said and done, the gun is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Amen. And, in general, the ones that appreciate the most are not the ones marketed originally as "collectable" or "Collecter Series." EVERYONE saves those. You want to have the one nobody else kept nice and in the box. That's the one that will appreciate in time.

Colts however, on the whole, are the best choice for investment "based on past performance."

Latest posts

Back