• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comanche Moon Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel727

50 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, as much as I'm in here I should know this but what kind of rifles were the rangers using? Half stock, looked like single wedges and a shotgun style butt.

I thought I saw a spencer hanging on one of the bad guys saddle. Also didn't see a single Patterson yet. Iffin they had the revolvers that they had, should they have been shooting different rifles than what they had?

I thought I saw a Colt Walker being used when one of the characters was shooting at a bottle along a river. One of the halfstocks looked kind of like a cut-off Great Plains Rifle with brass tacks added. Looked kind of like a low budget affair to me.

And a 2nd and 3rd mod Drg seems the 1850's time frame got spread just a little but as a whole a decent job so far. Fred :hatsoff:

Can you identify the rifles from these pictures?

19.jpg

29.jpg

I was thinkin' the same thing, they look like a hawken/ Leman style plains rifle but the but stock is all wrong

I know there was a transition between the curved but plates and the more modern flatter stocks but I always thought it happened after the civil war.

2nd pic looks like a canoe gun. thing is the canoe gun was a recent thing created in our times

i saw 2 1841 rifles which would have been issued to the rangers. and i saw one 41 cut off to carbine length. also 1 51 navy colt engraved and inlaid. and there was a walker colt.

Funny thing is to most show's now is my little bro is a friend of the former owner of the place movie's got guns from or made for years MANY years. I got a fast wak thru and EVERY REAL gun you can think of was carefully stacked by the 1000's (this is the guys that made the gun for Jackel - we got pics while it was built with understanding they couldnt be shown till movie came out ect,) Guns went back to before CW many into the 1700s. SO I wonder why they use some cheap knock offs now days or was it all sent to the winds when he sold out some yrs ago? Did ya know hey cant have a silencer in CALF so when shooting a movie they have to run to Arz to shoot one if they need some trick sound track! :rotf: What a state. (of affairs) Fred :hatsoff: (You aint lived till ya shot one of the hand held mini guns RUSH is the only word for it. :shocked2: )

The other night I wathced the three part series called "Camanche Moon" I didn't recognize the type of carbine type rifle that the Texas Rangers used in the first and second episode. Who knows what kind of rifles they were and maybe who might be the maker.

jim m said:
2nd pic looks like a canoe gun. thing is the canoe gun was a recent thing created in our times

The person that told you that has never been to the Museum of the Fur Trade or the Smithsonian.

Pc230036.jpg

This "Canoe gun"/"Buffalo Runner" is in the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum in Canyon, Texas. If I read the tag correctly, it states that this is a .67 caliber dated 1835. The tag lists it as a Cavalry Carbine, but the curator (art major) has most of the guns in the collection mis labeled for what it is worth.

I 'spose that canoes was a bit short in supply in the Texas Panhandle, long about 1830.

One rifle in the collection belonged to Col Charles Goodnight (1836-1929), a Texas Ranger. It was a J. Crosby, .50 cal with a back action lock and single key forearm. His shooting pouch, horn and gear are also displayed, and his powder measure was a .45-70 brass cartridge. The rifle is dated as #26 made in 1854, but the brass cartridge lends itself into at least the early 1880's. So, this shows that even though there were cartridge rifles out and about, the old timers still stuck to their muzzleloaders.

Soooooooo, maybe that short shooter was a Buffalo Runner instead of a Canoe gun...........?????

Can anyone identify what original military musket that this short shooter came from? I have seen that trigger guard design before, but I cannot find it in my books.

The Rifle Shoppe catalog actually shows a gun basically identical to that but with a percussion lock, Austrian.

Same barrel length too, only difference is the lock.

Somewhere I have seen a full musket with a trigger guard like that. Since I am just across from Canyon, and we are just a short hike up from Mexico, you see all sorts of begged, borrowed, and stolen items which were smuggled across the border over the years. In its several fracas' over the years, Mexico took surplus weapons from anyone that would give them away since they never developed any industry of their own. If you all recall, I posted that short Prussian Calvary Carbine some time ago that is in the local Museum.

I just got tickled when I thought about a canoe gun down here in the desert.

Back