• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comanche Moon Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an Austrian carbine from the Napoleonic era. I came up one bid short in an auction about 8 years ago. :( Many were converted to percussion and imported during the Civil War. If I remember correctly, the example I was bidding on was rifled, and about .75 caliber. Must have packed one heck of a whallop, on both ends!

Considering that Commanche Moon was about the most boring western of the last twenty years (my wife, who is NOT a western fan, commented she could have written a better story), I figured the guns were typical Hollywood. That is, no concern for authenticity. Not as bad as the old trap doors with flintlocks stuck on the sides ala the 1930's, but the same idea. What struck me as less authentic was the way the actors handled them. There's one scene where a ranger is cleaning (loading?) his rifle while talking to the blonde girl and he finishes by blowing on the nipple. Lots of fancy shooting, as well. Especially at the end where a couple of Indians knock down three or four horses in short order while in the saddle and a couple hundred yards away. Sad to say, but I am kind of glad it was the last of the series. (Did enjoy the Duvalle original show.)

I watched it while working in the shop. Glad that I didn't put in any serious sit down time. I thought there was going to be something about the war of northern aggression?? I also could not figure out if it ended. Was there a story line? Were the rifles mostly cva hawkens or what? At least they didn't talk about silk patches giving more yards and stuff. I seemed that they had 30 hours of material and then just cut things at random. I just could not figure it out. Are there any good movies out there?

Back