• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comfort of a pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rod, he's a real artist. Seeing this has given me some really daft ideas!! I'm in trouble...nanner, nanner, nanner! :doh:

The brown pipe on the bottom is the pipe from arrow rock mo that was found at a pipe factory that had burned down in 1834.The top pipe I bought in '78 or 9 and used in on trecks and reinactments and smoke it in rotation with my other pipes about once a month. I don't take my antique on treks but it has got to reinactments and smoked on many a mile while driving.
Thanks Bill for posting them.

Glad to help out Tenngun. Very nice pipes indeed. Your 1834 or earlier model is very similar to a design I have my eye on.

Rod: Thanks for the link to that blog. Now I want to make my own matches, too.

Bill, Glad to be of help.

tenngun, those are nice pipes. I've got a couple old originals, too---I'm sure you'll agree that smoking them once in a while is a great link to the past.

Rod

Back before I became enlightened and gave up tobacco in all forms, I used to have a favorite blend of pipe tobacco that I had the local tobacconist mix up for me. It consisted of toasted Cavindish with, to the best of my recollection, 10% Perique and 10% Latakia for flavor. Tasted great but everyone thought it smelled bad. No perfumes. I told them that I was smoking it for my pleasure not theirs.

I smoke a latikia blend. At one time I heard it smelled bad now wife and kids comment on its good smell, and pick on me when I smoke my non latikia navy flake.
By the By or surgon General found that people who smoke pipes outlive non smokers by an avarage of three years

Found out, much to the general annoyance of many a NASA, straight Latakia is easy to smoke. You may be asked to 'get the hell out' by those with taste, but what the heck??!!

HINT: A little vanilla BEAN ground & added into the Latakia will HELP diminish the obnoxious smell and has LITTLE change in the taste. = Learned that trick some years ago from a tobacconist.

yours, satx

So very true. I recall reading that pipe were called " the soldier's friend"
I enjoy all of mine very much. A good cigar is second. I can't tolerate cigarette smoke though, I wonder what they do to it

Its all about the cut and grade of the tobacco. The finest goes into pipes and cigars. The roughest, worse grade goes into cigarettes. That's why the smoke is so offensive. I've smoked pipes for years and can't stand cigarette smoke. But then I can't smoke a pipe or cigar in a "designated smoking area" just a cancer stick.

I like a nice Cavendish, but the misses has asthma, making it impossible for me to smoke in the house, :( as I would rather have her than the smoke. So most of my puffing is done around the camp fire, either in the back yard, or at rondys, even though she considers it to be one of the best air fresheners.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that if you put a clay pipe in a self cleaning oven, it will burn out the gunk. I've also heard that if it is a carbonized (black) pipe it won't get hot enough to burn out the carbon, leaving the black finish.

Glad I found this post so, I thought I'd revive it some. I enjoy smoking my pipes around the campfire when I reenact the Civil War. Actually its the only time I smoke and it adds to my impression.

I really enjoy the custom mild blends from the Gettysburg Cigar Company and always buy a small bag of my favorite blend (Longstreet) when I'm there.

I have made a couple pipes out of some nicely figured maple and use reed stems. This is my first one, based on the style of many clay pipes of the era.

Pipe14.jpg

Pipe12.jpg

Pipe09.jpg

Wow, that's some burl you and the claw pipe have. I suppose you see a distressed chunck of wood and it says "I'm a pipe bowl, let me out"!

I can't believe the prices of exceptionally pretty pipe bowls today -- 'course I'm only window-shopping and not buying.

My first father-in-law worked in a brick yard in Taunton Mass., from after WWII until he retired in 1962. He made this clay pipe in 1949, when he was working there. He passed away in 1964. Out of all the pipes I have it is the one I cherish most and smokes the best even though it's butt ugly.

1ugj.jpg

Latest posts

Back