• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Commercial Lubes that match Hoppes No.9 PLUS capabilities ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
According to posts from many individuals on multiple forums over the years who have used the commercial patch lube product called Hoppes No.9 PLUS BP Solvent & Patch Lube, the product allows "virtually" unlimited numbers of shots without without wiping between them.
(I chose the word "virtually" because I don't know if or what a maximum number of shots might be...I've only personally run a couple hundred 40-50 shot PRB range sessions with it, no more than 50 shots at a session).

A specific question is:

Does anyone know from personal hands on experience...about another commercially manufactured patch lube product that equals the "shoot-without-wiping-between-shots-capability" of the Hoppes No.9 PLUS product mentioned above?

HOPPE'S Elite Black Powder Solvent...........From October Country.

Love the stuff.

bpd303 said:
S&S still has Hoppes 9 Plus, just got a bottle to make up a min. order. http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SA233[/quote]
Yes, the No.9 Plus availability is fine...just that "Elite" variant product that apparently got discontinued.

PS: Just a tip for the future:
Check Sportsman's Guide to see if they have any in stock before ordering any more...last case of 10 bottles I ordered from them was $45 to my front porch...no tax / free shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used straight Ballistol as a patch lube and have shot as many as 30 shots without having to wipe. I don't know just how many shots you can get but I can vouch for 30 shots with no wiping. I have never used Hoppe's so I can't say how they compare. Give Ballistol a try and see if it is as good as the Hoppe's stuff. I can tell you that Ballistol is good stuff, though.

Billnpatti said:
I have used straight Ballistol as a patch lube and have shot as many as 30 shots without having to wipe.
Seems to me the odds are if you hadn't started experiencing problems after 30 shots you wouldn't be experiencing any at 40 or 50 shots either. In wondering what other commercial lubes might exist in the same class as Hoppes...sounds like Ballistol would be one.
(Is it true it stinks as bad as people post about? LOL)

I have 3-4 cases of Hoppes No.9 + on hand so I suspect I'll have some left over in my will.

Roundball,
I know you hunt with your rifles. Do you notice any difference in POI of your first shot vs 2nd on to 50th. Seems like I'm always concerned with 1st shot repeatability, so I always swab/clean between shots, even though accuracy is sometimes better with a slightly fouled barrel. Not critisizing, just curious of your results of unswabbed vs swabbed accuracy.

I only use liquid type lube at the range...Natural Lube 1000 for all hunting. I sight in every shot from a clean cold barrel, and always do a complete field cleaning after each shot while hunting so every shot is from a clean cold barrel there as well...never an exposure to possible POI changes...and I'm not sitting around for additional hours with a fouled gun.

FIELD CLEANING KITS I USE

I understand that you are sighted in for hunting from a clean cold barrel. Just wondering how your POI for your 50 shot range session compares to your cold barrel sighting in. Probably worded my question wrong. And yes, Ballistol stinks, but it works.

Like you stated, I also haven't fired over about 60 rounds in a session. The last shot did seat as easily as the second and fouling could be described as "moderate". It, IME, is at it's best with a tight ball/patch combo. At the range it is great stuff. I ordered a gallon drum of it a few years ago and still have half of it left.

ravenousfishing said:
I understand that you are sighted in for hunting from a clean cold barrel. Just wondering how your POI for your 50 shot range session compares to your cold barrel sighting in. Probably worded my question wrong. And yes, Ballistol stinks, but it works.
I see no change in POI for my range shooting when using Hoppe's...there's never more than a single shot's worth of fouling in the bore at any time...it doesn't build up from successive shots.
Fire a shot, the bore fouling is damp, seat the next Hoppes patched ball, the previous shot's fouling is wiped down off the bore around the top edge of the powder charge, gets ejected with the next shot, then there's a single shot's worth of fouling in the bore again...cycle repeats after every shot whether 10 or 50, makes no difference.

This is the wiping patch after 50 consecutive shots one day that I pushed down & pulled back up, leaving the bore basically clean. (The dark ring is from the top of the Patent Breech bevel).
There was hardly any fouling from the bore walls & grooves...and barely a trace of color when thoroughly cleaning back at the house.

Hanshi,

Where do you get a gallon of Hoppes 9 Plus? I can't find a reference. It has become my favorite patch lube. I also use it for a quick field cleaning at the range before the complete soap and water cleaning at home.

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks. Will have to give it a try. I have been using it at the range to swab between shots, never as a lube though.

Don't know...I only buy it buy the 10 bottle case (8oz bottles)...Google might show you something, but there was an old formula, then the current formula that's in the 8oz bottles...be sure you get the current formula.

Some folks are offended by the smell but I don't find it all that offensive. It is best described as having a chemically licorice-like odor. You can reduce the odor by opening the can and allowing it to air. Within a day or two, most of the odor is reduced to a tolerable level for those who are offended by it. If you get it on your skin, it is easily washed away with soap and water. Actually, it is reported to be a good antiseptic in a pinch. If you get a small boo boo while at the range, just rub some Ballistol on it until you can get home.

Back