• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Commercial Lubes that match Hoppes No.9 PLUS capabilities ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
colorado clyde said:
Here is a link to the MSDS sheet http://www.tdeinc.com/wp-content/u...Multipurpose-Lubricant-MSDS-Sheet.pdf[/quote]

Especially the last few pages on biodegradability. The medicinal grade mineral oil must help as an antiseptic. And the fact that you can drink Ballistol to the point that you have completely filled your intestines and stomach and just feel "uneasy" (like I do after Thanksgiving dinner)and have no effects after evacuation naturally is remarkable. Though I won't condone doing this.

I use Ballistol and promote its use, now I have one more reference for the tool shed. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a happy Ballistol user for a number of years, and agree completely on its effectiveness as a patch lube and barrel "wiper-outer". :thumbsup:

BullRunBear said:
Hanshi,

Where do you get a gallon of Hoppes 9 Plus? I can't find a reference. It has become my favorite patch lube. I also use it for a quick field cleaning at the range before the complete soap and water cleaning at home.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, I honestly can't remember where I ordered it from. It was one of the businesses that are sometimes mentioned here. You might check Amazon. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Big Em said:
"...And the fact that you can drink Ballistol to the point that you have completely filled your intestines and stomach and just feel "uneasy" (like I do after Thanksgiving dinner)and have no effects after evacuation naturally is remarkable..."
:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:
But you're saying you at least did that once ????

I found a half bottle of the Lehigh Valley patch lube in my gear box this fall and started using it at the range. I was impressed with how little fouling there was and the patches and groups were real good. I liked the stuff a lot. I still swabbed every shot but probably didn't have to.

I never have tried extended shooting without wiping but I have to believe that the Lehigh Valley lube would be quite good for this. I have heard that someone is marketing the old formula again so maybe you might want to try a bottle of it if you can find it.

One advantage of Ballistol over Hoppes 9 may be freeze point. Makeumsmoke, who is a huge Hoppes 9 fan, said he was hunting in really cold weather and when he went to set a ball with a pre-lubed Hoppe's 9 patch the ball broke through the frozen patch. I have hunted in really cold weather with pure ballistol and never had frozen patches. :idunno:

Mr.Flintlock.com is making and selling it again. I bought some and tried it, works great I never had used any of the original so don't know how close it is to the original but it is suppose to be the same formula. I never have tried Hoppes 9+ either if I find some I would like to give it a try to see how they compare.

RB

Last edited by a moderator:
Spikebuck said:
One advantage of Ballistol over Hoppes 9 may be freeze point. Makeumsmoke, who is a huge Hoppes 9 fan, said he was hunting in really cold weather and when he went to set a ball with a pre-lubed Hoppe's 9 patch the ball broke through the frozen patch. I have hunted in really cold weather with pure ballistol and never had frozen patches. :idunno:
Not an issue for me...as I said earlier, I only use Hoppes at the range for shooting without wiping...I don't use it for hunting.

Shenandoah Valley Patch Lubricant and Bore Cleaner is the best EXTENDED patch lube I have ever used.

Monthly, I shoot a 60 round match and never have to clean between shots.

It maintains a constant bore condition.

I saturate a patch and then blot it between two folded-up paper towels. The patch comes out moist but not wet.

Midway stocks it.

blackelm said:
Shenandoah Valley Patch Lubricant and Bore Cleaner is the best EXTENDED patch lube I have ever used.
Monthly, I shoot a 60 round match and never have to clean between shots.
It maintains a constant bore condition.
Sounds like it has the same kind of performance as Hoppes No.9 PLUS...sure makes long range sessions enjoyable.
I see its sold under the Muzzleloader Originals label by Southern Bloomer, TN...

I mainly hunt i shoot my hunting load all summer so when hunting season starts im ready right now i use ox yoke pre cut for hunting seems to me hoppys or mr. flintlock lube would not be used for hunting thinking on using dutches ballistol and water for hunting and while shooting swab with straigh ballistol any other suggestions ???

I'm fairly new to this, why would Hoppies or Mr Flintlock not be used for hunting? On another forum I saw someone who supposedly loved Mr. Flintlock make the same remark with no explanation.

oneshot 52 said:
I mainly hunt i shoot my hunting load all summer so when hunting season starts im ready right now i use ox yoke pre cut for hunting seems to me hoppys or mr. flintlock lube would not be used for hunting thinking on using dutches ballistol and water for hunting and while shooting swab with straigh ballistol any other suggestions ???
I don't use any liquid lube for hunting...Natural Lube 1000 for 20+ years now...precut / prelubed cotton or pillow ticking made by OxYoke, then switched to thicker pillow ticking patches from Joannes Fabrics I lube myself with NL 1000.

Back