• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Complete noob to muzzleloading.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but that shotty is 'spensive. At least new, and finding used on the net has proven fruitless :cursing: I can't imagine doing much better round my neck o' the woods! As with anything else, lots of ideas and plans, not alot of money for them!

just save your money, if you can set aside 10 buck a week and stick to it, you could have what you want in under a year. it goes fast i promise.

To tell you how I came up with the name.
I was talking to the guy at the local archery shop. I was telling him how I'd had a bad hunting season, can't even get a stupid squirrel! How the deer continuously taunted me and what not. Didn't help I missed the bow season because I haven't shot bow in a while and didn't want to risk a bad shot, missed muzzleloader entirely because, well, I don't have a muzzleloader, and we all know once gun season starts, the deer get pressed hard and are far more alert. That and I'm not the best of hunters to begin with. While lamenting my lack of luck he commented "That's why you never see a fat Indian". So Skinny Indian. Yes, I'm part Indian (you'd think I'd be a better hunter/bowsman but maybe too much white man? Far better with rifle/pistol). As for skinny, well I'm not morbidly obese, but I'm starting to show my age creeping up on me... Too many German beers as a young buck I suppose. I figure a firearm/hunting forum is the perfect place to use a screen name like that! Came to me out of the blue when I was trying to think up a different name than my standard ones.

Oh, and I'm VERY impatient. Besides if I saved ten a week, I'd be sitting on about $300 and see something that caught my eye and whooosh! Or some financial tragedy/emergency would befall me and I'd have to use it for that. Always happens. Guess I wasn't born under a lucky star...

I was just reading elsewhere on the forum about the Jim Chambers kits. Anyone have experience with them? Good starting point? Specifically the New England Colonial Fowler/Militia rifle? I'm wondering, would I have to install sights? Is the place for them already set or do I have to make it? As I consider more and more and research what building one takes, a kit is DEFINITELY the thing for me. I think it would give me a better idea of the intricacies of lock design, seating of barrel, etc. I'd hate to get a kit and find that I don't have tools enough to put it together. These kits seem reasonably priced. Unless I have misunderstood the price list they're fairly cheap, but they list the barrel next to it separately which makes me wonder, do I have to buy this in addition to the stock/hardware? Also, I'm going to assume it's a good idea for me to get the instructional DVD? Probably even before the gun right? I also see that they are not too far away from my neck of the woods.

I have never built one. I have heard very good things about the parts sets. if your near charlotte ,chambers is only about an hour and half, 2 hours from you. They're just south of asheville. take a ride over and look around. i can tell you that my next build will have a Chambers lock and a rice barrel in it. They are pretty much the best you can by without going totally custom.(from what I hear.) However you will pay for the quality.

I would still suggest you by a building book. It will have alot of info and problem solving that is good to have. these are just my opinions on it and I am by no means a builder. I am still very much a novice at this hobby, :thumbsup: Andy

Yes, you will have to buy the barrel seperate. The barrel willprobably be held in the stock by 3 or 4 tennons. The rear will probably already have the dove tail cut for you. Just install the tennon. The forward tennons will need to be soldered onto the barrel. There will probably be only a front sight on the new england fowler. It will be soldered onto the barrel as well.
I don't have the dvd , so can't say much about it. it might be good to watch and actually see someone do certain steps rather than read about it. I guess it all depends on how you learn and what you like.

Dang, not as cheap as I thought. I still might hold out, the appeal of an 11 ga is just too much to resist! I mean really, who has an 11 ga flintlock shotgun? Not many I'm sure. And even fewer that were top of the line. Would probably shock the game warden too (they get surprised if you use a recurve to hunt with around here). It seems like something I could use the rest of my life, and pass down. And it would look classy hanging on the wall. I'm still trying to find books about the hobby, but I don't like buying a book without looking at it first, especially on stuff like this. I've been snooping at bookstores, but I think this might be too specialized a thing and have to risk the recommendations. I'm just afraid they'll require me to know things I don't already know. I think I can handle the build, but sights were a concern because I'm not sure I'd get them on straight. The more I think about what I originally thought about doing, the more complex it seems. Are there any lower priced kits, still of decent quality, that have similar offering though? If I did mess something up, I'd rather mess up a cheaper one. Maybe I should do the Hawkens that was recommended to me on here, even so it is a rifle. That seems marketed more towards a less skilled person than the other kits. If I have issues with it, I know to leave the other one alone :grin: And I won't be out quite so much, but darn it it's such a beautiful gun!

if you want to look at the book, you may try taking a ride over(or call) to Kings Mountain national park. They have a book store over there. I don't know if they have "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" but they have several other books by the same publisher. They may be able to get it for you.
As far as deciding what kit to get or not get, thats totally on you. My suggestion is get what will make you happy. If you want a smoothie, get a smoothie. If it's not exactly what you want in the long run you will probably never be happy with it.

Books and or a video are a good way to see whats invloved, rifle, fowler, musket the process is all pretty much the same.

The "Gunsmith of Grenvile County" by Peter Alexander, or "The art of building the Pennsylvania longrifle" by Dixon, Ehrig & Miller are a good place to start. I've never owned a video on building, I'm always leary of some videos as they make it seem to easy, I mean ever see Norm scerw up a project on New Yankee workshop? No matter which a book or a video is a very good idea to show you what's involved in building a muzzleloader.

There are less expensive kits, some web sites to look at for idea's is Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica Long Rifle Supply, etc.

Just for an example you could do a 20 ga. Northwest Trade gun for around $600.00 + sh. Not cheap but, less then a Chambers kit

The other thing you have to look at is tools. A simple kit like a Cabela's hawken will only require simple tools, files, screw drivers, maybe a small 1/4" bench chisel, sandpaper, etc.

Something like a trade gun you need more tools, a cabinet makers file, some small gouges, bench chisels, taps for cutting treads, drill bits, a counter sink, a torch & solder, assorted files, sandpaper, etc. While not necessary having access to a drill press is nice when it comes time to drill the barrel tenon holes and the touch hole.

The other thing you need is patience! (Something very lacking in this instant gradification filled world) Try using short cuts like a dremel tool for inleting, or a belt sander or random orbit sander for stock shaping, an angle grinder to fit the breech plug, or any thing else to "speed up the process". And you can end up with a barrel shaped fence post and a gun stocked shaped hunk of fire wood!

fort fireman said:
As far as deciding what kit to get or not get, thats totally on you. My suggestion is get what will make you happy. If you want a smoothie, get a smoothie. If it's not exactly what you want in the long run you will probably never be happy with it.

That's what I've been worried about, I'd spend the money and not like it. That's why I didn't buy a modern one. Sure they're cheap, but it's not what I want. Would it get me started in Muzzleloading? Sure, but I think it takes away from fair chase too much, and the spirit of the muzzleloader season and muzzleloader hunting. I've got plenty of modern rifles with cartridges, and I do and will likely continue to use them. I also like building things, so that helps. I'm more likely to enjoy using something I put together.

Everyone seems to recommend those books. I wasn't sure about tools that I'd need, and though I have some, I don't have all. I'll probably go with the Hawkins just to get a feel, and gather tools. I'd still enjoy the rifle, or I'd hate muzzleloading altogether. It just wouldn't be my ideal gun, but now I have other guns that aren't ideal, but I still like them. I'm not too keen on the idea of a 20 ga, too small for me.

Not to bump a dead topic, but anyone know a better or alternate site than gunbroker for Muzzleloaders? I'm going with the suggestions of buying a premade one, then slowly learning the build.

G-broker is probably the largest auction site for muzzleloaders, but I've seen some decent deals on AuctionArms as well. There are other places I know that are good, but most are for antiques, and better used for drooling than buying. Some deals can be had at gun shows if they have any black p;owder guns (my local ones don't have much, but I've been able to pick up some stuff at good prices).

Skinny Indian said:
Not to bump a dead topic, but anyone know a better or alternate site than gunbroker for Muzzleloaders? I'm going with the suggestions of buying a premade one, then slowly learning the build.

I would try HERE in the Classifieds, Track of the Wolf web site, and the ALR message board in the Items for Sale section. Of those 3 places you can find some nice rifles & quality merchandise.
:thumbsup:

Jim Chambers also has videos on building a ML. You may want to invest a few bucks and get one to help you see what a build takes.

Back