• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

condensation fouling powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hmm: ......Can't remember having it actually happen to me and cause a failure to fire......
But! that's not because it can't, but rather I typically unload before coming indoors.

I have had powder clump up in flasks, horns, paper cartridges and speed loaders from constantly coming and going in and out of the house during the cold wet and snowy seasons....

What's your theory?

Has anyone loaded a fired gun that has been out in -70c,

My advice is do not fire a ML that has chilled to -70C. In my experience stuff starts breaking at temps a bit higher than that. It is amazing how brittle things get....

Certainly do not try and spit a ball down the barrel at -70 LOL. Pretty long walk home with a loaded musket stuck to your lips!

"53 parallel sir, and you are?"

Brit,

I'm not disputing anything you say but you Brits have our Gulf Stream to warm you regardless of the latitude. That's why the pilgrims had such a rough time in Plymouth, Mass. when they first had to winter here. The ambient temps are quite different.

Both arguments are sound IMO because they are anecdotal and relate actual circumstances encountered.

Patocazador said:
"53 parallel sir, and you are?"

Brit,

I'm not disputing anything you say but you Brits have our Gulf Stream to warm you regardless of the latitude. That's why the pilgrims had such a rough time in Plymouth, Mass. when they first had to winter here. The ambient temps are quite different.

Both arguments are sound IMO because they are anecdotal and relate actual circumstances encountered.
Yes, true, sometimes though, the jet stream knocks any benefits of the gulf stream out!

Also if I am mad enough to go out on a very wet day with a flint or caplock is not a dripping wet gun in the same precarious situation?

Back