• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical for Hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a lot of hog hunting here in Texas. Maybe our hogs are just wimpy, but I've never found them to be hard to kill if the bullet finds it's mark. I haven't used anything but round ball and have had passthroughs on most of them using a .54. Most of the ones I've taken with muzzleloaders were in the 180 lb range. I used to hunt them with modern guns, but the only shots I ever got was at close range anyway, so I went to handguns and muzzleloaders.

I've taken two hogs here in Alabama with a .50 PRB, using 80 gr. of 3Fg. Both were in the 150-175 lb. class, and both fell within 50 yards of the shot. (Both were classic broadside shots, and took both lungs.) That said, I also carry a Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC, with heavy handloads and 300 gr. hardcast bullets, just in case. With good shot placement, a PRB is fine.

Joel

Hey Josh do you mind if I ask where in Ohio you are finding hogs? I hunt in the SE area and have never seen any but have been told there is a small population.
James

I ran a "Q" on this on hunting site here a few months ago since we are over run with the DANG things, 400 pounders will run right thru a 6' chain link fence. I dont think 54 PRB will get it done as Ive shot 2 with the same in 62 and about lost my legs. (hit a 3rd with a head on shot and saw the ball zip right off his head) Did try a 1/4 AWAY shot at the lung area and it piled right up as a member said ,from about 30 yds. Fred :hatsoff:

.338 win. mag it is then. .54 is the biggest smokepole I got and I'm rather fond of my legs :shocked2:

Josh

Josh. If you are able to sidestep with any speed at all( ie. you don't have some physical impairment) , you can easily step behind a tree, or climb one to get away from wild boar. Boars get scared when threatened and their main choice of defense is to run away. You have to be careful that you are not standing on their chosen escape trail.

Unless you insist on take frontal brain shots, there is no need for any high powered rifle to kill boars, no matter the size. If you look at the location of the brain in a pigs skull you will see that there is a lot of bone in front of the brain. Its the worst angle to shoot a hog!

Hogs hang out in the woods. That is where they root for food, and their large eyes don't take to bright sunlight very well. Their eyes are also located on the sides of their heads, making them a prey species, who uses it speed to run from predators, rather than having binocular vision to attach them. They do see as well with their eyes as humans, except that they don't have binocular vision as we do, and therefore have to look forward with only one eye by turning the head to the right or left. Because of this one-eyed vision, they are not very good at depth perception. They look under brush, at the stems and trunks, to determine the location of obstacles, and not up and over the brush and small trees. Corner a boar, and he will try to go through you if that is his way out. But, it is kind of hard to describe that as a " Charge", which suggests an intention to do you harm. Even a 400 lb. boar stands less than waist high to an adult man. You are a giant to him, and he wants nothing to do with giants! And, trust me, he has never weighed himself to find out how much he weighs, nor has he figured out that he can easily overcome and hurt or kill a human being if he wants to do so.

Use your ML and have that fun experience, but pick a better shot than hitting him in the forehead. If you can't get a better angle, WAIT. Another time will come. Hunting is not "GETTING". If it was, they would call it " GETTING!"

Here's a site that has pictures of a hog dissection. The photos clearly shows where a hogs vitals are.
[url] http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html[/url]

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting good results with remington blackpowder 50cal.sabot with a 303gr.or 275gr 44cal. coreloc hollow point. 100gr ffg

Like some others have said, shot placement is the key. I've killed more hogs with my bow than anything else and lost a couple before I found out where to put the shot each time. I know people that have killed more hogs with a .22 than a lot of other people have in their life with a bigger caliber bullet.

If you can put a .17 or .22 in the ear of a hog it's out without even moving a muscle. More than likely you won't be able to do that with your gun from a further distance or won't feel comfortable with the shot.

A hogs vitals are different than most other animals, including a whitetail which most of us are used to hunting. A hogs vitals are much more forward and lower than a deers. No matter what you've heard, a bullet such as a .22 caliber WILL pass through a hogs 2" shield. I've seen it done plenty of times. Many hogs that are hit and lost are because they're just tough animals. A hog that has been hit in one lung can easily live where as in a deer it'll be much harder. When I'm bow hunting I'll aim directly inline with the shoulder joint and maybe 2 inches up from it. The shot is low and looks like it's going into the shoulder.

This is off another site but it'll show you a hogs anatomy and you can see exactly where everything is on a hog and see for yourself where you will want to make the shot. As long as you're not too far back you'll be fine. Anything over an inch or so behind the shoulder will hit intestines and all the other junk.

Good luck on the[url] hunt...hogs[/url] are one of the most fun animals to hunt.

wholewithcutout.jpg

frontleg.jpg

hartlung.jpg

cavity.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back