• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical sliding forward

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can try "paper patching" with these - works well when I need to use it also makes fine paper revolver cartridges also. Look for "End Papers" for woman's hair curlers. The one's shown are Super Jumbo size 1000 for around $6.00.

I use .002" onion skin 100% cotton paper cross patch on any clean barrel bullet load because I size them just over bore diameter. I hate pound it down style bullets. After the first shot a bare bullet .001" over bore can be seated fairly easily but snug with the fouling left behind in the barrel. It won't move either way no matter how it's handled during hunting. I got the idea from "The Caplock Rifle" by Ned Roberts.

You might also try cutting the WWs with pure and see how they load. Maybe 50/50 or 25/75. I used to cast with harder lead when I didn't have pure. Mostly range lead. I wouldn't want to load them for a long session but a few weren't too bad with a good short starter.

About 40 years ago I got a .54 cal. Lee improved Minie mold to cast for a Gallagher breechloader. The Minie was a bit too heavy for the charge I was able to load into the Gallagher cartridges & they didn't perform nearly as well as RB's.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when I rediscovered the Minie mold and tried out a few in one of my .54 cal. Lyman Rifles. Same deal, they load in free fall down a vertical bore & I'd never consider them as-is for hunting or anything but bench shooting.

I also found some 40 year old cigarette papers used to make some failed paper cartridges. A strip of cig paper with 2 wraps 'round the minie will secure it nicely. Accuracy with or without paper is comparable at 50 yards.

Good suggestion. I'll try a paper cross patch for a clean barrel situation. Thanks everyone for the input and ideas.

Twenty years ago you pretty much had to buy the whole box to get high rag content that would yield .007 to .008 for a double wrap so the interseine has improved some things.
It's a good thing somebody finally invented it. :patriot:

A better paper and readily available is butter paper, the paper that sticks of butter come in. It is really tough stuff.

My friend, the serious BP tournament shooter, turned me onto it when I mentioned finding some onion paper to patch some conicals and try to get them to shoot in my round ball .40 barrel.

Onion paper didn't work for me or my friends shooting conicals, butter paper gave them some pretty good groups at 50 yards, minute of deer anyway. I haven't tried the butter paper in my rifle yet.

If you want to try onion paper, you can buy just a few sheets off eBay for a couple bucks shipped.

are you calling parchment paper butter paper?

I have tried parchment paper and my rifle did not like it. Groups at 100 yards were in the 2.5 inch range.

you can buy 100 sheets at a time of onion skin from Buffalo Arms.

My current stock I bought off of ebay and is really old.

Fleener

that would be so many pounds of butter in a year that the butter association would make me their spokesman.

fleener

Wouldn't that make a great advertisement for butter?

OK, gotta ask. Is someone using unsalted butter on their round ball patches?

Back