• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals for Uberti 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they the more pointy Picket style? Not like a RN design much like Lee's conicals?

Can anyone post a pic?

I just guessed 3/4 inch long. I just measured one with my trusty carpenters rule and it looks to be more line .50 inch. My digital caliper is in the shop and I am in the den.

rodwha- yeah, the original were more pointy. If you are interested in them the best thing you can do is contact Dixie gun works as they have (or used to have) the historically correct conical with a rebated base, the whole deal.
But...the pointy conicals actually were an inferior design. The driving band- or that portion of the conical that was chamber diameter, was very short and when the conical was rammed/seated the conical could actually twist a little sideways and result in a runout issue that did little for accuracy.
That Kaido conical. He has used it here in Florida for hogs and on a small/moderate 60 pounder the concial went from neck to tail through the whole hog. Pretty impressive. I think they were using a special powder with maximum charges and were getting results similar to the 44/40. Since the central part of Florida with palmetto flats and range is sort of similar to central Texas- I'd think the same load ought to work fine for you. I've been following the group using that Kaido conical. I think you might need a Remington Type revolver with a top strap as they are pushing things to the limit but still, I've been inspired. I've always favored Colts but now I want a Rem 1858 and join those guys on their next hog hunt. High times.

I am interested in the historical projectiles, but for hunting I want a conical with a large flat meplat.

I have a ROA, but I think my next purchase will be an 1858 .44 cal pistol.

I've been working with Tom at Accurate Molds to design a ~250 grn FN conical. He has made a 160 and 180 grn version for me. I've also talked to him about a .36 cal light weight conical.

Latest posts

Back