• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conicals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not arguing "in favor" of conicals, just pointing out some of the physical limitations of roundballs. If you want to bring down bigger game you need a bigger bore, unless you are willing to shoot a longer bullet.

Elk, Moose, Caribou, and other ungulates have all been killed with black powder propelled RBs.

Those aren't really the issue. I'd be comfortable taking moose at woods ranges with a .54, no question. I've seen them taken with a 7.62x39. They aren't hard to kill. Neither are caribou. I don't know much about elk but I believe a great many have been taken with .50 and .54 roundball.

The problem comes when you are also dealing with ursus arctos horribilis and his larger coastal brothers. The historical track-record of standard .50 and .54 cal roundball against him has NOT been good. Hunters do take the big bear with .54's, but you'd be crazy to try it with roundball. A heavy conical is the standard for that caliber.

Alternately, you could get a large bore roundball shooter. A ball in the .69" range or larger should be packing enough mass to give you the needed penetration.

Hunting with a single shot firearm has always been, and will always be, an event that focuses on the ACCURATE PLACEMENT of your RB( or bullet), Rather than just blasting away.

Absolutely. But as old Elmer Keith advised, when you are using a single shot firearm you ought to err on the size of a larger round because that first shot HAS to do your work and do it well.

I'm not saying everyone should use modern conicals. I'm saying for hunting up here the traditional paradigm for roundball shooting needs to be adjusted up. Either that or you have to take multiple long guns.

Furthermore, there are a great many varieties of TRADITIONAL 19th century conical. The Civil War battlefields are filled with an astonishing array of variations, as you can see from any bullet collector's display. Including towers, "fat boys," "slug ball," picket bullets, garabaldi, Shaler three part, and of course the Minie. The ball-ettes that a lot of folk like are very similar to a number of these historically correct rounds. But for some reason "traditional" ML'ing for many religiously excludes any projectile save patched round ball.

R.M. said:
I'd like to be able to see a target at 250 yards. My old eyes just wouldn't be able to do it with iron sights.
Me too! Now you're bringing reality into this guy's story. Spoils the whole thing! So much for truth in advertising! His ad is sort of a very brief fairy tale it seems. :wink:

"What I am trying to say is that while PC is great but we also owe what we shoot some consideration. '

True and it does not require a modern design bullet to do that.

"hey when it comes to hunting, you use what you are comfortable with. This just looked like a fun bullet to try out this year. Never seen a solid copper conical for a muzzleloader before."

I was not questioning their use as such just their place on a forum like this, but I guess this is what we have come to, it is comocal that the only modern component we cannot talk about is the gun itself and they are closer to the originals than the bullets and sights/scopes that are fair dinkum, I think the word "traditional" should be banned that would make the whole works go more smoothly :rotf:

". But for some reason "traditional" ML'ing for many religiously excludes any projectile save patched round ball."

Not at all a bullet that can be traced to a mould from the past pre 1865 here I believe is a good choice if you can find one that was made for the common mans gun which here is most often a .50-.54 plains rifle, the military rounds are not an indicator of what civy bullets were, but we stretch everything else to suit of personal tastes so why not bullets, catch ya later I 'm not going down this road for another three or four pages it is an effort in futility. :stir:

Kentuckywindage said:
247Thor-Test2005.jpg

Just a thought on if you want to try something new to conicals.

I think this is way beyond the scope of Traditional Muzzleloading.

the military rounds are not an indicator of what civy bullets were

How do we know this, though? The pre-CW era was full of radical experimentation. Has anyone actually studied what civilian hunters were firing from their muskets and rifles?

Jacketed bullets were a long way into the future at that point in time. Barrel material could not stand up to them even if they had existed.

There are and were traditional elongated projectiles, but not like those. Trying to turn traditional muzzleloaders into modern magnums is how the in-line cheater guns came about.

There are forums where you can learn how to "Magnumize" your tradional rifle and for those who don't care about tradition that's the sort of place to go. Fot the traditional patched ball shooter bigger balls are required--both in the gun and on the shooter. Or, if the rifle is designed for slugs, say a Whitworth for example, you have a potent load already.

A traditional rifle with a known to be traditional bullet will get the job done. If that isn't enough, this is probably not the right forum for you and an in-line will be more to your liking. Or maybe a nice, scoped Weatherby....

One gentleman was into research on period bulets several years ago on another forum and he found little in the way of records of non military use of bullets pre civil war there were a lot of paper patched picket types solid base sugarloaf. lozenge or double ball I have been trying to find him to get his data, as I recall the primary use for the civilian bullet was long range target shooting,what we find today is the mindset that because there were minnie balls in the civil war that any conical is PC or a connical is a connical, the same goes for peep sights, and if this is aceptable then the same logic should apply to the guns themselves yet many would fall on their sword to avoid having the in&&%^guns around but use the other items on a regular basisThe ball met the needs of the averag shooter/hunter/home protector during the last years of the ML age once again I have nothing against them if they are a reasonable replica of an original design and were deliberate and not a result of blind luck and I contacted several connical makers and none would claim any connection to a style of the past save the minnie/Whitworth/and a few other military/target types, I would like to see a selection of period bullets available to todays hunter but I suspect they were not so user friendly with paper patching and folks just found the ball quite sufficient,we cannot just assume that a lot of folks were using them,they do have a use today on large game with a smaller than adequate bore but it is a stretch to toss all of them into the PC/HC pot just to justify their use and let that magical word "traditional" roll off the tounge there are quite a few double molds with a ball and a solid bullet cavity the ones I have sen I would think may have been for a .36 pistol. Hey Russ pick it up from here I was not going to go there/here again. :shake:

I know tg. I think we're in a "I want to use this 20th century in-line ammo in my traditional rifle, so I'll grasp at straws to justify it" mode. It's a variation on the classic "if they'd a had it they'd a used it" justification. Neither holds a bit of truth, and they don't belong on a traditional forum, but tradition doesn't mean much to some folks. Best to let 'em pretend they're right and leave them to it. They aren't interested in the truth anyway--facts just spoil their fun.

"They aren't interested in the truth anyway"

THE TRUTH!....THEY COULDN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

gmww said:
Cosmoline said:
I understand and appreciate where the traditional PRB crowd come from. I love shooting the things. However, if you're actually hunting something bigger and possibly meaner than the typical lower 48 deer then the roudball begins to create physical problems. Pretty much like the ones Lewis & Clark ran into when they shot griz over and over again with roundballs, or the similar experience Europeans had in Africa first trying to bring down the big five.

Underhammer1.jpg

Some folks just get a big round ball for Africa. :grin:

I'm bettin this guy has no teeth! :shocked2:

My cuz just got his first ml (one of THOSE!) and he tried a bullet similar to the one shown. It coated his bore with copper and would not do six inches at 50 yards! :shocked2:

more than likely the hornady. The bullet i pictured gives me a 1 1/2" group @ 100 yards in the cabelas hawken. My other rifle it leaves a quarter size hole 3 shot group.

Gotta work up your loads!! You all know that.

But it is a modern bullet, not a traditional bullet. With few exceptions, no one on this forum works up loads with them or discusses them. They belong on a modern muzzleloading forum. As Claude said, "This is way beyond the scope of Traditional Muzzleloading". It looks like it belongs in a 'scoped bolt gun not a traditional muzzleloader.

It seems there's always a certain segment of the muzzleloading community that really has no interest in history and tradition and really doesn't care much for the real muzzleloaders and lack either the skill or the interest in learning the skills needed to use a traditional muzzleloader. So they try to turn them into a modern gun with modern bullets and sabots and fake powders. Sort of leaves me wondering why they don't just buy the in-line and be done with it--or stick with high powered modern rifles. More their thing it would seem.

well many can make an argument that a cabelas hawken isnt traditional. Especially my sporterized hawken witha rubber recoil pad. Or the CVA Mountain Stalker with its plastic stock.

The original poster asked for some info on conicals, if you cant offer any advice on conicals.......

I'll be using them this september in traditional sidelocks and if i get anything, darn right im going to post my hunting success story. Personally i feel that threads that get off to a start like this, Drive new comers away from the forums and leave a bad taste in their mouth.

I hate to argue with anyone but when the boss man himself says this has crossed the line, it has to either move to PTs or dropped altogether.

In no way are these copper "Thor" bullets Traditional.
Their designer intentionally intended to invent a new bullet and these are the results.

As for their suitability on this forum I don't think there is any question that they don't belong here.

As for their use for hunting, they may work just fine but they will not make up for poor shooting accuracy. No bullet will.

Speaking of accuracy, in my opinion these would require the same load development as any other projectile. That will be a very expensive program.
The maker wants over $23 for 15 of them making them cost more than $1.53+ EACH (Postage isn't figured in this price).
Seems like shooting 50 shots could put a person in the poor house.

Another thought about using these Non Traditional bullets:
The jacketed bullets we all know in cartridge guns are made for shooting in a hardened alloy barrel.
Our muzzleloaders barrels are NOT a hardened alloy steel and I for one predict that using a solid copper bullet in your soft steel barrel will cause a LOT of wear on the rifling.

If this is true, that $1.53+ price goes way up when you factor in replacing a $150 barrel just because copper bullets were used in it.

Well price does affect certain people. Some will spend $2000- $3000 on rifle while others will spend $200-$600 on a rifle thats no where near as pretty but still gets the job done. I got my elk last year with a $175 cva mountain rifle, it did the same thing those expensive rifles will do.

Cost isnt the issue here and nor did i ever say it was traditional. As i said before, the original poster asked a question about conicals and i had just gotten these 4-6 days ago and thought it was a cool conical that can be shot from traditional or modern rifles.

$1.53 is cheap when a big boy like this steps out :haha:
Elk018.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back