• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Considering a .40 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Thompson Center Hawken with a Green Mountain .40 cal barrel that I added to it. Funny thing is I have never shot it. I also have an <AMR> stock that I found a .40 cal barrel which is 16 1/2 inches long. For a Buggy Rifle (carbine) it is very accurate.
100_2413.JPG
buggy rifle.jpg

Last edited:
My old .40 caliber percussion has a Douglas barrel that likes 55 grains of FFFg behind a patched .390 round ball. I cast my own round ball with a Lee RB mold. At 25 yards that load groups in one ragged hole roughly 5/8-inch across. At 50 yards she opens up to between 3/4 and 1 inch. I've hunted squirrel and rabbits with it, mostly head shots.

I ordered a .40 late Lancaster flintlock longrifle around 20 years ago and loved it (still love it). But due to stupid carelessness the bore was damaged ruining the pristine accuracy. I didn't use it for hunting although I did develop three loads for different size game in case my mind changed. For deer I loaded 60 grains of 3F for 100 yard shots and it was a real shooter! My all around load used 40 grns of 3F and would have been great for varmints and up. I later chronographed the 60 grain load and got a sizzling 2145 fps.

It was a joy to shoot and recoil was...well, wasn't. It was .40 X 38" X "B" wgt barrel for 8 lbs. I sent the damaged barrel to Bobby Hoyt and had him bore it out to .45, which removed the bore damage. The rifle went from 8 lbs to 7 lbs 11 oz and still balanced perfectly with it's swamped barrel. It's still a tack driver.

There's little difference between a .40 and a .45 as far as recoil is concerned. Most of my deer hunting was with .45s and the .45 is superior to the .40 for distance and power. I see no difference in accuracy. With judicious loading the .40 can make a fine squirrel rifle, but head shots should be the rule. Where legal many hunters report it takes deer with no trouble.

I have a .40 Tenn Mt. Great gun to shoot, very accurate, easy on powder, with little recoil. I thought of it as a mide caliber like a .243. Unfortunately her it NJ it's to small for dear (I don't think that, it's the law) and to large for small game (law again). Fortunately I have a farm so I can sometimes make my own rules. If you can use it I would get one.

Seeking information on a .40 caliber. I have zero experience with one and if I get one, it will be for squirrel hunting. My thoughts are if it is downloaded a bit, it might not tear up a squirrel too much. I've heard that a .40 caliber is suppose to be pretty darn accurate, which is a must. I'm looking for good accuracy out to 30 yards, maybe more. Good accuracy as in 1" groups or better.

It will not be used for big game and it must not be a flintlock.

Powder charge?

Round ball availability?

Thank you
Here’s my recent monthly target. 40 cal. 3 of 5 tight group.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I thank everyone for their input on this. I’ve decided that as accurate as most 40’s are, I will most likely not be purchasing one. Being a hunter first and foremost (mostly for squirrels) a .40 is not to my better interest. I wouldn’t mind having one some day, but for all practical purposes, they are an in between caliber that I wouldn’t use much for hunting. My .32’s, 50’s and .54 covers all I need.

I have used a loaded down .40 for small game for perhaps 10 yrs. w/ great success. When I built the rifle , the criteria was make a longrifle 38" -.40 cal. , 3/4" Oct. barrel , and flint lock. Have used the ultra light rifle for a good while and love it. Now I have to put a modified Johnson tang peep sight on it due to old eye problems , and can't see the sights. Not a big deal as my other two rifles have the same peep sight with great success. At 77 yrs. old , Johnson Peep sight has put me back in the game.

Way back when.... I had a .36 T/C. Fun gun but even at .36 cal it was brutal on squirrels. If I was to do it again, I would look for a .32 cal.
Agree. I really like a .32 for squirrel hunting. At only 20 grains of powder and small .310 round ball, it’s very economical. With its 32” barrel, my Crockett Squirrel rifle is fairly quiet on the shot (which is a biggie for me) as well as less damage done to squirrels on body shots. Use of a loading block eliminates trouble handling the smaller .310 round ball out in the woods.

Works for me.

My rational for perhaps getting a .40 was for longer shots. However, I’m doubting my vision would be up to the task now.

Back