• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Contacted Kibler about Hawkins rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that video, one of the coolest things I have seen. Would love to get a more authentic type Hawken but I do agree with Jim that a 32" barreled 10-12lb gun is no longer in my sights, something I can carry in the woods all day but not look like just a run of the mill Hawken "style" rifle

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is for Kiblers to call their new creation a Plains Rifle. That would open many more options to create a rifle that would have the authentic look of the mid 1800's rifles without being so heavy to pack around and would allow for some ideas of their own that would still look authentic. It also would eliminate the purists from commenting that what they call a Hawken isn't anywhere near a real Hawken.

I’m very sorry if this has been discussed already. But I contacted Kibler about plans and projections of the Hawkins percussion rifle. They said not yet. But is their next project. Soooooo I’m guessing a couple years . Maybe. Wardawg
He has a video up. He discusses several things. A Hawken is among them.

He also has to navigate the minefield of the peanut gallery; some will want an early Hawken, others a late one, a J&S Hawken, or just an S. Hawken; he'll need the advise of Bob Woodfill and others; he may just take off and become a "real" mountain man, out of the range of modern technology!😉

In the above video he also said it would be a percussion gun. He doesn’t currently make a percussion lock sooo it may take a while.
Also mentioned it to be a half stock not the full stock. A place for him to use up those leftover pieces of wood.

A percussion gun removes me from the list of potential customers, but I'm sure Jim will attain many new ones who have thus far not bought any Kiblers because they don't care for flintlocks. And I'm certain Jim knows what he's doing.

I was actually hoping for a flint hawken. Maybe he can make it a convertible.
There are, or were no flint Hawkens, only theory, see Bob Woodfill's book. The breech of a Hawken bbl. doesn't lend itself to conversion, what with the cockle shell perc. fitting and all. Hawken "nuts" are fanatic about authenticity, start to add too many "wishes" and the whole thing will collapse. :oops:

A percussion gun removes me from the list of potential customers, but I'm sure Jim will attain many new ones who have thus far not bought any Kiblers because they don't care for flintlocks. And I'm certain Jim knows what he's doing.
He does, and if he accomplishes this wish without going crazy with everyone and their auntie desiring a specific version, he will sell more of them than the Three Stooges have "nyuk-nyuks"~!

Back