• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeping an 1858 loaded indefinitely

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one was still loaded when my father acquired it in the 30s. He replaced the caps and even after 70 odd years every chamber fired.

18104 (15).jpg

Five chambers went sixteen months in a Pietta .44 Remington spare cylinder. No special storage. Sometimes the cylinder was on the gun for property walks (anti-mountain lion and rattle snake) or it was just sitting around on a bookshelf or on my desk.

Thirty two grains Pyro P, a .454, Remington #10’s

and a heavy viscous beeswax and olive oil lube/sealant on top.

Each charge detonated without any perceptible delay and went through and fractured some lumber pieces as if it had been loaded that same day .

Not quite 70 years but a good while anyway

Reliability with real black and proper fitting caps is no problem. Normally I would use a lube wad for load & shoot situations at the range but I feel the lube over time could affect powder. Sometimes I’m not in an area where daily discharge is possible. I always clean the day of discharge Indefinite in my question can mean a few days or a few months or so.

When you leave it loaded , do you load with lubed wad or just powder & ball?
In loading, I seat the ball directly over the powder. Have used a lube called, 'Grease Ball' in the past, to cover the chambers but my supply is direly diminished and have been unable to find it anymore. If you go for an extended period of time, it does tend to crust over, but it doesn't affect its lubricating. It is/was nasty and require extensive cleaning after firing your weapon. but there no hard fouling in your bore. Saw/read somewhere that someone was offering 'real' bear grease. Old timers used to swear by it. May have to look into this. As I've commented before in this forum, I grew up in a time when many 'true' old timers that had used C&B revolvers and learned everything I know from them, so some of my methods may be antiquated but then at 76 so am I and really too old to learn new. more modern methods. Anyway, the 'old' ways still work after 40 some years of shooting C&B, so why change now?

I had a loaded (and clearly marked) rifle in my gun safe for about 10 years. When I finally got around to firing it, there was no lag time and it was just as big a BOOM as a fresh load.

I fired off a caplock double barrel 12g in 2011, that had sat around loaded since 1921… Figured I would unclog the spiderwebs in the barrels by popping a couple caps… 🤬🤬🤬
Reminds me I have a CVA SXS in the safe that has been loaded for the last 4-5 years. Used to goose hunt with it with a friend, and the last time we went out I put it away loaded as I hadn't had a shot, thinking we would be going back out soon, unfortunately he passed away shortly thereafter before we could get out again.

Can't think of anything more sealed than the chamber of a BP revolver.

Well my container for carrying my old dive meter on an aircraft? PVC and a O ring.

Unless to have a cap that seals, you are going to get some exchange, not a lot, maybe not even enough, but its not a perfect seal either.

In, as I remember, the MLA of Great Britain's magazine some 60 years ago, there was an item about how long powder would stay active.
The butler in a big house asked the boss if he could take a flintlock blunderbuss down off the wall and give it a good clean, permission granted he went to the workshop and stripped it down.
He had the conveniently short barrel in the vyce and for some reason or another was warming it with a blow lamp when it went off, unfortunately he was standing in front of the muzzle and was shot in the stomach, fortunately the charge had deteriorated or wasn’t much good in the first place, and the wound was not fatal.
It had possibly been loaded for well over 100 years.
Old guns are always loaded should always be kept in mind.

In, as I remember, the MLA of Great Britain's magazine some 60 years ago, there was an item about how long powder would stay active.
The butler in a big house asked the boss if he could take a flintlock blunderbuss down off the wall and give it a good clean, permission granted he went to the workshop and stripped it down.
He had the conveniently short barrel in the vyce and for some reason or another was warming it with a blow lamp when it went off, unfortunately he was standing in front of the muzzle and was shot in the stomach, fortunately the charge had deteriorated or wasn’t much good in the first place, and the wound was not fatal.
It had possibly been loaded for well over 100 years.
Old guns are always loaded should always be kept in mind.
ALL guns are always loaded.

Back