• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Contacted Kibler about Hawkins rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I live, I have never seen another person shooting and hunting with flint besides myself, aside from percussion black make-believe B/P guns, I have seen a few people shooing sidelock percussion guns at the range, almost all TCs.

I have a friend who has made quite a few flintlock guns but hunts with percussion only. He says the flinchlock aspect of his flintlocks makes it hard for him to make a good shot on deer.

In archery there is a huge resurgence of traditional equipment, 30 years ago you could buy used vintage traditional bows for peanuts.

I wonder if there is a similar resurgence in sidelock firearms anywhere in the country, I haven't seen such a resurgence in N/W Alabama.

I taught hunter safety about 30 years ago; it was depressing to learn from my young students that they didn't know a bow had ever been made that didn't have wheels on the ends or that there had ever been a M/L that had a sidelock and was shot without a scope.

Many people are afraid of flintlocks, I have heard people say over and over that they heard that they never go off and aren't effective or accurate past 25 yards, of course these people have never owned or shot one.

From what I have encountered in the B/P community and the distrust concerning flintlocks, I suspect Mr. Jim will have to build an entirely new facility to handle the demand for his percussion Hawken.

The discussion about an “Authentic “ Hawken is a complicated issue. First you have to remember the brothers were custom builders. They had a basic pattern but would change or embellish each price if the customer wanted it. The only item that did seem standard was the barrels were tapered.

...I haven't seen such a resurgence in N/W Alabama...
Eric, It's always existed around Huntsville/Decatur/Athens to small extent, probably due to the annual flintlock hunt on Wheeler NWR:

1000001589.png

Isn't it interesting that a federal agency is encouraging and promoting flintlocks?

Last edited:
can anyone say honestly if I said Hawkins or Hawkens ?
Well then you are wrong on both counts by attaching the "s" to both. 🤣 Just warming you up to the heat that will surround the Kibler Hawken regardless of the choices Jim makes!

I'd like to see a plains rifle somewhat like the GPR but with earlier features. But I think he'll do better with a Hawken no matter how he designs it.

The discussion about an “Authentic “ Hawken is a complicated issue. First you have to remember the brothers were custom builders. They had a basic pattern but would change or embellish each price if the customer wanted it. The only item that did seem standard was the barrels were tapered.
Kibler already said in his vid that it won’t be an exact copy of any Hawken rifles — that ought to cause a run on mydol from some.

In his recent Q&A, Kiblers has stated the Hawken will NOT be a direct copy of any originals.

The original rocky mountain guns that Sam & Jake were distributing some years ago are heavy guns. 5 kg or better. Heavy thick walls.

Kibler has stated those wouldn't sell well these days, and I believe him. His rendition will feature a lighter weight, handier barrel.

In the above video he also said it would be a percussion gun. He doesn’t currently make a percussion lock sooo it may take a while.
Also mentioned it to be a half stock not the full stock. A place for him to use up those leftover pieces of wood.
He uses locks from the high quality makers, I don't believe he makes his own locks; he supplies the best locks along with his kits. I'm sure he can source a percussion lock from the same quality makers. The 'traffic' I see lately here about a Kibler Hawken convinces me he's going to be successful if he offers one.

Kibler already said in his vid that it won’t be an exact copy of any Hawken rifles — that ought to cause a run on mydol from some.
Wasn't aware of that, but maybe that is the best way to go; if he offered one specific model of Hawken, the "other- model- fans" would kvetch. Jim knows best, as he's an excellent businessman.

He uses locks from the high quality makers, I don't believe he makes his own locks; he supplies the best locks along with his kits. I'm sure he can source a percussion lock from the same quality makers. The 'traffic' I see lately here about a Kibler Hawken convinces me he's going to be successful if he offers one.
He originally used chambers locks but is now CNC manufacturing his own. Maybe he will bypass doing his own. There are plenty of well made suitable percussion locks available.

He might have to make his own locks in order to get a consistent fit in the stock.
Are the locks he could choose from that variable in size that it would be an issue?

If so, making his own might be necessary. Furthermore, I know nothing about lock making or machining, etc. Maybe it's cost effective to make them in house.

One approach to the weight issue is bigger bores. 58 and 62.

Back