• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Continued satisfaction with Seneca...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Took a break from sitting in the trees with recurve in hand this evening.

Instead, I grabbed my early 45 caliber Seneca and went skwerl hunting. I took a couple Greys with a 30 grain load of 3f Scheutzen.

What I really want to mention is that on the way out, I tried a couple of deer load shots at a spot on a piece of wood at 63 long paces. I should mention that until now, I had only fooled with 45 grain loads in this rifle.

I loaded 60 grains of the 3f powder and followed it with a cast 445 round ball with a ticking patch cut at the muzzle and lightly lubed with mink oil.

The first shot hit at 12 0'clock on the two inch diameter spot. Reloaded with the same recipe and fired one more shot at said spot. The second ball cut into the first ball's hole. :doh:

To say that I am pleased with this little rifle wouldn't come close. It shoots as well as any rifle I have owned and there have been several including some custom jobs.

It handles like a toy and hits where I point it!!! I've never been more careful not to nudge the sights on a barrel as I cleaned it, than this one. :haha:

I have read that a load like this out of the lightweight really pounds a guy with recoil. I can say that I survived and it wasn't all that sharp.

Just wanted to share my happiness with you guys.

Best regards, Skychief.

Sounds like a gem, lusted over them many years ago. Lots belly ache over recoil, it gets over hyped. Usually by someone hunkered down low on a bench or putting a crescent butt in the wrong place :thumbsup:

B.

For several years I was a competitive trap and skeet shooter. Trust me, the recoil from a muzzle loader is insignificant compared the jolt of 1 1/8 ounces of shot at 1200 fps......Robin :stir:

Last edited by a moderator:
Resurrecting this old thread after shooting my Seneca this morning.

The satisfaction continues to say the least.

I shot loads from 25-65 grains of Goex 2f at ranges of 25-100 yards. Greased patched and spit patched. The little rifle still amazes me.

No matter the load, it delivers great groups. It's not fussy at all!

Even at 100 yards, sitting on my my backside, as though hunting from the ground, the rifle shot tight groups of roundballs into a lung sized gong, the center of it actually. :shocked2:

It's left me with the impression that I truly shoot best with a lighter, shorter-barrelled gun as opposed to heavier, longer-barrelled ones.

Of course, I can't ignore the fact that this rifle's sights seem much crisper to me than others.

Just wanted to share that I made good smoke with this enchanting little .45 today.

At the end of the session, I gave it a cursory cleaning instead of a complete going-over, just in case the wind lays down enough for a squirrel hunt this evening.

That's this year's Labor Day report, Skychief. :hatsoff:

I like the shorties, too. Mine is a .45, built by Mike Lange. It has a straight, 15/16" X 25" barrel. I shoot it for targets because of the accuracy and ease of handling. Short, but it still has nice weight out front; which is helpful for me.

Sky ..Good shooting...

I feel the same way about a 32 cal T/C Cherokee..

Time to convert it to flint....

e2d35675-28af-4188-ae4e-c61b527e8860_zpst458cl6b.jpg

A dump joke? How do you know it was a dump? She didnt even mention the name of the bar. :hmm:

I liked it....You go Girl :thumbsup:

When I get the time I may start counting off topic posts, negative posts etc. Bet some would be surprised to see where they rank :doh:

I have wanted one of these small rifles for a number of years. But there is not much to shoot around here other than paper with such a small caliber.
No rabbits around these parts and the squirrels are not much bigger than the chipmunks. Can't use a rifle on birds. We have to use shot.
So as much as I would like to have one there is no practical reason to own one.

I'll just continue to vicariously have one via these forums. :)

Yep, I love jokes more than most. In fact - it is probably already apparent - most of the time I can hardly contain myself from posting humor.

There is only one thing I don't joke about and never will; and that is humor! I take humor very seriously. :hmm:

Back