• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting to half-stock. Worth it for historical value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry4History

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm working to create a reenacting unit for the Western Sharpshooters, which used an 1860's style deer hunting gun. While the primary sources describe the guns as: “The rifles were of all different makes, sizes, and calibers”, all of the photos of the regiment and surviving artifacts are all half-stock. I have a number of full-stock replicas that we used for our trial run this weekend, so the guns work. But part of me wants to cut them down to half-stock like the originals. Is this a difficult project for a moderate craftsman and woodworker? Will I need any specialty or unexpected tools? Is there any risk, is it even worth it?

1000010518.jpg

I would think not only the stock would have to be modified, a nose cap fashioned and a metal rib attached to the underside of the barrel with ramrod thimbles attached. Sounds like a headache to me.

Having built guns from scratch I would find it easy to rework the full stock in the foreground to a half stock. As reddogge suggests but I would use the nose cap of the rifle and the thimbles you have with the additional of either a wood under rib or a steel one that can be bought. Attachment of the under rib can be done by screws, soldering or tabs with pins. Think it threw before grabbing a saw, it will take some work! Here’s an old one that was missing the under rib and I made the wooden one pinned threw tabs.
IMG_3744 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I redid a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit as a half stock. I made a wood rib, which some guns had. This is one I used for my inspiration, and my result.

I did it because I wanted a half stock with a barrel longer than the typical 24"-28" kit guns, and the Kentucky kit was cheap. The rib is a piece of square poplar stock (sold near the dowels) from Lowe's. It's shaped to the barrel flat and the sides and bottom are concave. It's held on with tennons added to the barrel. Frankly, the hardest part was figuring out what I wanted and planning it out.

Have at it, and have fun!
20210929_213502.jpg

20210929_213333.jpg
20230819_090704.jpg

20230819_090952.jpg20230819_090504.jpg20230819_090821.jpg20230819_091043.jpg

Well, frankly, and not to be a negative Nancy, what's the point? Those who watch the reenactments likely have no idea of the difference, and couldn't tell a T\C Hawken from a replica (fill in the blank here).

IMHO, if you're going to take time to build a flintlock, then build a flintlock. Do one from scratch....full or half stock. The learning curve is there....just have at it!!

Latest posts

Back