• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convince me .45 PRB is enough for deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is legal in your state then that should mean it is ethical because I doubt the fish and game people would say using a certain caliber is legal if it was not ethical to kill deer.

luie b said:
If it is legal in your state then that should mean it is ethical because I doubt the fish and game people would say using a certain caliber is legal if it was not ethical to kill deer.

luie b,

How many deer have your shot in your life time and how many with a muzzle loader? How many with a 45 cal.?

After you share your history and your lifetime learnings maybe, we can learn from your experiences.

Thanks for your insight into hunting deer.

Thanks

RDE

Richard Eames said:
luie b said:

luie b,

How many deer have your shot in your life time and how many with a muzzle loader? How many with a 45 cal.?

After you share your history and your lifetime learnings maybe, we can learn from your experiences.

Thanks

RDE
I think Louie's thinking is right on, and doesn't deserve to be put down like that. That was just wrong. :cursing:

I agree,Luie just stated if it's deemed legal to use in your State, there shouldn't be a problem. There was nothing said about experiance.

Sir;

Where in my post do I mention anything about how many deer I have killed. In the fact that I mentioned how many deer I have harvested was not in the question. But, for me to be polite I will answer your question. I have killed 11 deer in the 5 seasons I have deer hunted. 9 were killed with a shotgun and slugs, 1 with a bow, 1 with a 50 caliber muzzleloader shooting prb. I never said I have killed a deer with a .45 I just said his state rule's probably won't allow him to use a weapon that wouldn't ethically kill a deer.

Jim, I agree with louie, but the bottom line is, You, are the one that must decide if you have enough gun. If you have doubts then you owe it to the animal to either move up a notch or two in caliber, gain enough confidence in the gun you have, or not hunt. Without trying to sound too Zen, hunter and tool should be as one..... grasshopper!
Robby

It would be interesting to see a thread that someone did not feel the need to take a potshot at someone else for no reason, at times it can be justified if tactfull and having a valid point as refuting a bad post or advice,but most often this is not the case.

tg, Seeing's how you are responding directly from me. Are you insinuating that I am taking a pot shot? If so, HOW? Or am I, or you having another Strother Martin moment. No comprende mi amigo!
Petirrojo

Push #1 for English. I have no intention of learning a langauage that is not spoken here. :wink: Though we do speak some German here from time to time, but there is no one asking me to push the button to speak my ancestors language. :rotf:

I think that qualifies as a POT SHOT, congratulations, You have just won an all expense paid virtual trip to 1939 Deutschland, just google your way to to your, ein zunge, garten eden, viel gluck.
Auf Wiedersehen, Arschloch
Rotkehlchen

I bought my first flintlock in 1977, it was a custom made .45...Using 75grs of Goex FFF I killed 34 deer with that gun from 1977-1990...
I dropped down to 40grs for squirrels and other small game and 50grs for turkeys...During that time period I seldom used a modern firearm...

Try this test...Shoot a 2x4 from 50-75 yards with that .440 ball and your load of 70grs of powder...It will easily penetrate all the way through...A deer's ribs are hollow with maybe a quarter inch of bone on each side...Their lungs are air and water...

Shoot that ball into the lungs of a deer within 75 yards and it will be on the opposite side of the deer, under the hide and flattened to the almost the size of a nickle...

That deer will fall within 40-80 yards of where it was hit...Same as one hit with a .54...

My first RB deer was taken last year, great big ole N.C. nanny. .440 RB, 70gr FFF goex 57 yards.
complete pass through, i was quite impressed. next day, knocked a 4pt clean off of his feet at 34 yrds with a .50 RB, looked like he was hit with a 500 MPH brick. Dont underestimate the power of a RB, do your part and put it in the boiler room at reasonable ranges and a .45 will do the job just fine! :v

No Robby, TG wasnt addressing you, read back on the first page and you'll find a cheap shot a Loui B, one of the many reasons I dont spend much time here anymore. To many people like kicking each other in the shins all day. TG is correct about that, amoungst other things.

Richard Eames said:
luie b said:

luie b,

Thanks

RDE
I aint Louie B but I can answer that I've killed more than 50 whitetail, axis, fallow and sika deer, not to mention who knows how many hogs with a .440 patched round ball. And who knows how many other animals with patched roundball of different caliber. Pick yer shots well. No need to go after young Louie, he's a good lad. Good thing you can hide behind the key board.

No need to go after young Louie, he's a good lad. Good thing you can hide behind the key board.

Certainly must agree. Luie should not be attacked for expressing an opinion just because he is perceived to lack experience. His whold post was oriented to the idea that if it's legal it's ethical. Really grist for a whole different thread, IMO.

I will say, Luie, that I follow your reasoning completely but would disagree with the assumption that because something is legal that it is ethical. Ethics are very much a personal thing. Even though organized groups of people often subscribe to and agree on a particular set of ethics.

When the powers that be decide on what is legal in terms of hunting tools, they are more likely thinking in terms of "effective" or "humane". What they arrive at is more likely the product of what others persuade them to do rather than what might fit anyone's own framework of what is "ethical"

Lots of things are legal in the hunting fields in various parts of the country that I disagree with and would not employ them. Good example would be listening to a hunter from, say, Minnesota discussing the use of hounds to hunt deer with a hunter from one of the southern states where it is common. A whole different ethic.

My state allows the use of expandable broad heads for big game hunting. I would never use them based on my own ethical considerations. And, if I could think of a way to impose my ethics through the persuasion of the powers that be, I would (see paragraph above!) :rotf:

"tg, Seeing's how you are responding directly from me. Are you insinuating that I am taking a pot shot? "

No Robby that is just where it fell it has nothing to do with you.

Thanks for the replys guys. Hopefully I can talk some sense into him. If not I'll use the Seneca on the IL State public hunting areas and hopefully kill one there. Maybe that will convince him!

JimG said:
Got my Seneca yesterday. Took it to the range. At 50 yards the 3 shot groups are measuring an average of 1 7/8". I'd say that's fine for deer. Shooting Hornady swaged .440 balls with .015" Wonder 1000+ lubed Ox Yoke cotton patches with a Ox Yoke lubed Wonder Wad over the 70 grains of Goex FFG. 90 grains is the max load for this gun with PRB's. I'm not even getting 1000 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, almost but not quite. By modern standards it's not ethical in regards to energy. My max range would be about 75 yards with PRB's and 100 yards with conicals. Even with conicals, 1200 or so fpe is all the gun can muster. What say all of you? I need to present valid points to the owner of the sportsmans club I belong to in order to convince him it's ok.

let me ask you this , can you convince us it is not enough for deer. :shake:

Back