• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convince me .45 PRB is enough for deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's with your "rolling eyes" icon ???
Seems very out of place...the guy is simply asking for our help.

Here's the original poster's simple question:

"...What say all of you? I need to present valid points to the owner of the sportsmans club I belong to in order to convince him it's ok..."

And the rolling eyes does nothing to help...what IS IT about the MLF that brings out this kind of behavior ??????

I think it is a place where percieved knowledge and real knowledge come together and clash, resulting in a wake of rude, ignorant behaviour........from the other guys :shake: :hmm: :shocked2:

learned all i know from you and tg. :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

So, what does being a redneck tell us about your level of education? :confused: Are you using the term in a derogatory fashion? I know guys who are proud to be rednecks. Do you know what the term means?

I got no prob. You apparently think I'm jerking your chain. I'm not! Just trying to figure out what the he-doublehockeysticks yer saying.

LuieB-

I live in Fairmount. It's about 1/2 way between Urbana and Danville. Closer to D.ville than Urbana though.

My guess is someone could take some lessons on maturity from young Louie he handles himself in a very gentlemanly fashion, I didn't think to peek under his collar but I doubt the color there matters, what say ya Marmotslayer?

marmotslayer said:
I got no prob. You apparently think I'm jerking your chain. I'm not! Just trying to figure out what the he-doublehockeysticks yer saying.
Slayer, no point in wasting time on unknowns.
The down side to the public Internet is that everything shows up from A-Z...so you have no way of knowing if you might be dealing with a troll, a troublemaker, an alcoholic, a drug addict, etc.
So let's try to help Jim wrap this up.

And on that note Jim, I have another thought you might consider, and it might also carry more weight with the club guy you're trying to convince.

I spent a couple years using T/C's .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunters (not maxi-balls) in T/C's .45cal x 28" x 1:48" Hawken barrels...they are tack drivers in those barrels and just devastating on NC deer. I'd expect they'd do as well in that T/C Seneca barrel, reducing the powder charge a bit due to the thinner and lighter weight barrel.

My .45cal Hawken Flintlock load was:
90grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke prelubed wad
.45cal/255grn T/C Maxi-Hunter

Recoil might be a bit stout in that lighter barreled Seneca, and one way to dampen it is to replace the light weight wooden ramrod with a solid brass rod, to get another pound + out front under the barrel.
And, the extra weight improves accuracy due to less muzzle wander, as well as ensuring that the rod won't break while out in a hunt.
I replaced every one of my T/C Hawken wooden rods with brass ones.

Good luck

That looks like a great strategy for Jim to use.

If you need more "ammo," Jim, ask him if he thinks a 44 mag is enough for deer. Then compare ballistics of the 44 mag with 45 conical loads. Beats the stuffings out of handgun loads, and is right up there with 44 mag in a carbine. I sincerely doubt he'd decline use of a 44 mag carbine.

I didn't think to peek under his collar but I doubt the color there matters, what say ya Marmotslayer

Yup! Most people don't have the proper respect for the term "redneck" and don't realize it refers to a hard working southern farmer who spends his days in the field and acquires a sunburned neck. I guess someone from NYC would not get that whole concept of working hard in the sun! :shocked2:

Slayer, no point in wasting time on unknowns.
The down side to the public Internet is that everything shows up from A-Z...so you have no way of knowing if you might be dealing with a troll, a troublemaker, an alcoholic, a drug addict, etc.

Right on RB. See NYC above! :haha:

The NY DEC publishes an outdoors magazine. In one issue a few years ago that had a article about a guy in upstate NY (Alleghany region) who had a BARN full of bucks all taken with a long-barreled .45 flintlock.

He used about 70grains GOEX FFFg or 55 grains of Swiss FFFg and kept shot within 75 yards. Most about 50-60 yards. Very few ran more than 60 yards and none more than 100.

As he stated it IS all about placement and NOT taking a stupid or chancy shot.

-Ray

I've shot four Kansas whitetails with my .45 Seneca. I was shooting 70 grn of 2f and Hornady .440 roundballs. My first one was shot slightly quartering to me at 18yds. The ball hit right behind the front leg and should have got both lungs. The deer ran out to about 60yrds and stood with it's head down. I got reloaded and by this time she was broadside. I put a second round directley behind the shoulder and she dropped. As I was reloading she got up and took off running. Luckly there was snow and I followed her about 300yrds and found her standing. My third shot broke her neck.
The first ball went through the nearside rib, slid along the inside of the ribcage and nicked the rear part of the lung. The second ball broke through the rib deflected forward and lodged into the brisket, not touching the nearside lung. I was very disapointed in the purformance of the .45. My Seneca is very accurate so the other three deer were neck shots and the .45 ball preformed perfectly. I've shot two coyotes with it and had to track the lung shot dog for several hundred yards. The other dog I broke the shoulder on and caught both lungs.
The Seneca uses a lighter load than most .45 because of the frame and size of barrel. Other .45 I shot you can use a little more powder and get better performance. Good luck

So, there is the flip side of the coin. Not a perfect world for sure.

FWIW, I also experienced a round ball deflecting inside a deer. Was a .50 cal over 90 grains of ff. Ball went off on about a 45 deg angle.

I have shot at 5 with the .45 PRB and 5 went to the freezer.

If you don't hit them right a .58 isn't big enough.

Good luck
Wess

Back