• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copper Canteens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buenger228

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a copper canteen from Backwoods Tin & Copper and was wondering how safe they are. I plan to carry only water my canteen, but I'd like to be able to boil the water in the canteen before I drink it. Will the copper have any problems if I do this?

-Clint Buenger

Copper is safe for water, boiled or otherwise, however, copper canteens are not correct. At least for 18th C. The tin would be a better choice, and cheaper. Metal canteens apparently just were not made for civilian trade, and the militaries used tin or wood. I cannot tell you that it was never done, just that it would be a rarity.

:blah: Either way , it is the solder that will get you. Lead solder . That is the problem, only solder certified for water pipe shpuld be used. lead will make you goofey or even kill you.

lonesomebob said:
:blah: Either way , it is the solder that will get you. Lead solder . That is the problem, only solder certified for water pipe shpuld be used. lead will make you goofey or even kill you.

I don't believe lead is the only concern. I know this is about canteens, but cooking certain foods in un-tinned copper pots can make you pretty sick.

You are right Claude. Acidic foods and the corrosion that can build up on copper leaches arsenic from the copper. This is also true of brass, but to a lesser degree.

Mr. Claude,
My hunting partner and his wife boiled up some tea in a copper kettle that was not tin lined. Made them terrible sick! Bet they don't make that mistake again.
Best Wishes

WindWalker said:
Mr. Claude,
My hunting partner and his wife boiled up some tea in a copper kettle that was not tin lined. Made them terrible sick! Bet they don't make that mistake again.
Best Wishes

I read this somewhere...

"The FDA has general prohibition on the use of copper in the food industry. Their policy being a warning not to use it because it will dissolve in acidic foods and cause copper poisoning.

Acute copper poisoning occurs when at least several grams of copper sulfate are ingested or when acidic food or drink ”“vinegar, carbonated beverages, or citrus juices ”“ have had prolonged contact with the metal."

For years I did a military impression. Periodically I would have to replace a rusted out tin canteen. I still do a little military re-enacting, as a field musician. But I got tired of replacing tin canteen every other re-enacting season. So, here's what I did. I approached a coppersmith about making me a canteen. I asked him if it would be possible to tin the outside as well when he tinned the inside. He said he could certainly do that for me at no extra cost. Now I don't have to go looking for a new canteen every other year, because mine doens't rust. And it looks like the real McCoy, too. Nobody knows but the people on the Muzzleloading Forum, now. :winking:

Cruzatte

Un tinned copper and brass utensils is not
the best choice , but it is not the big danger
that some people ( like my mother ) imagine.

The plumbing pipes in your house may very well
be copper .
Some cooking utensil , like stills and jam
cauldrons are never tinned because they are exposed
at temperature that would melt tin .

The first symptom of copper poisoning
is vomiting , copper oxide was once used
as emetic. it more or less takes care of itself .
Copper poisoning results from daily intake of a very small dose .

You are NOT going to get sick from drinking water from a copper canteen!!! Copper is totally, utterly, and completely safe and non toxic. It makes the best water pipes. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to tin the inside of a copper canteen...unless you are going to fill it with tomato juice...

As was stated, the problem arises when acidic foods are put into (and particularly cooked in) copper containers. The acid reacts with the copper and creates copper sulphate, and yes, this can make you sick.

I have read that supposedly, a copper canteen was dug up at a Rev War site somewhere. I'm sure they existed, but no doubt were rather expensive. (they ain't cheap now!!!). I have one and it is really neat. The perfect canteen, but I don't carry it anymore much because I know it would definitely have been considered a very unusual item to have in the 18th century.

Back