• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct 1760's rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryToth

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Halloo the camp!

I asked about a Pecatonica "Pre-Revolutionary" a couple of weeks ago, but from what I've learned since then I don't think that it's going to work for me. So, I'm asking about what 1760's rifle would work for me. Here's what I'm looking for....

I live in Southwestern Pennsylvania. My area was influxed with early settlers immediately after the quelling of Pontiac's rebellion. My personna is that of a very early settler into this region... we're talking 1765 through 1770...definitely "Pre-Golden Age".

I want a rifle, not a smoothbore. I enjoy hunting and I enjoy the accuracy and the range that a rifle gives me. Nothing against those who prefer smoothies, it's just not me, not yet!

I would like to go 54 caliber if possible.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions and education that you'all would be willing to offer.

Ironsights-Jerry
Uniontown, PA

J. P. Beck - c.1760 (Lee Bartley)
v91_1.jpg

How about a nice, early Jaeger? This one is c. 1740-50
Jaeger_Rifle.jpg

Here's some slightly later possibles.

Early Lancaster - c.1775 (Jim Chambers)
RK-1.gif

Isaac Haines - c.1775 (Jim Chambers)
RK-3.gif

I'm having a Lehigh (c.1780) put together by John Donelson - a copy of a specific J. Rupp (Kindig's No. 62) but with a rifled 44" barrel in .54 caliber (that one is a .58 smoothbore). A relatively simple original that will make an attractive but very useable hunting rifle.

For 1760 you'll find a wider and 'clubbier' buttstock and a .54 to .62 caiber being more common, so your .54 is a good choice (my favorite cal.). Simple hinged patchbox or sliding wood lid.

My choice - drumroll - an John Christian Oerter of Christian's Spring (Bill Rooks) - precursor to the Lehigh style

oerter7.jpg

There are only a couple of early 1760's originals around, but the flat, heavy buttstock and straight lines are the general trend I don't think J.P.Beck started making guns untill the late 60's according to kindig, Dickert would have been at work by 1760. a "Southern" early gun like Chambers or would not be out of line as a Penn builder with Engish influences could make one, avoid the Siler type lock as it is of a later period,If you can look at RCA 1&2 by Schumway
you can see what the originals thought to be of early make look like then compare this to what is offered by various builders this is the best way to get an authentic gun when compared to blindly trusting someone elses interpretation, Chambers does research his stuff well though when compared to some others.

Hi Stumpkiller,

Thanks for your ideas.

I absolutely love the Jaegers. They date correctly for me, plus they really would be great to actually hunt with! The absolute only thing that stops me from going with a Jaeger is that with my 52 year old eyes, I'm moving the rear sight way up the barrel! I put my rear sight 13" from the breech on the Early Lancaster I built last summer. With a 31" Jaeger barrel, I don't have a lot of sight radius left if the rear sight is that far forward. Oh, to be young again!

I've always understood that the Becks were more a 1770 or so start time? I love the Becks I've handled, they fit well for me also!

My area is on the original "Braddock" road, actually "trail" at that time. We were settled pretty heavily by 1770. My personna is actually 1765. I know that it seems odd to discuss 5 years, but a lot of change seems to have happened twixt 1760 and 1770 with the ML rifles.

As to the "slightly later" rifles, I did build an Early Lancaster last summer. I love it! However, I'm struggling to get just a few years earlier.

Talk about the Christian Oerter style? Whose parts are it from? Are the transitional rifles often seen the same thing? I do notice Pecatonica has a transitional and TOTW has an Edward Marshall... are these the same or different or similar????? This might be what we're looking for???

Regards,

Jerry.

Hi tg,

Thanks for the post. I'm aware that the larger stocks, flat buttplates are early. Shucks, I like the Tulles if I could make do with a smoothie!

Teach me about Dickert! I've handled quite a few Dickert stock blanks and a few finished Dickert rifles. They fit me well and I've fairly lusted over them. What has always stopped me from going this direction is that I've read and been told that Dickert did most of his work around Rev War time. Have I understood this wrong? Please teach me anything you can about Dickert's time frame.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry.

Talk about the Christian Oerter style? Whose parts are it from? Are the transitional rifles often seen the same thing? I do notice Pecatonica has a transitional and TOTW has an Edward Marshall... are these the same or different or similar????? This might be what we're looking for???

I pulled the date for the Beck copy previously shown from the info on TOTW's site (where it was for sale)

"This well made flint longrifle closely modeled after the work of John Philip Beck, circa 1760, a famous American gun maker who worked in the Lebanon, Pennsylvania school of style."

You'd have to contact Bill Rooks to get the details on his source of parts, but I would guess the lock to be a Chamber's Christian's Spring (a variation of the large Siler). I seem to recall reading that a series of Molls and Rupps may have apprenticed under J.C. Oerter, and that the Christian's Spring area produced locks used by several of the early PA gunsmiths. They certainly followed his stylings very closely.

Here's the information as presented on Rooks' website:

A basic rifle will consist of plain maple stock, straight octagon barrel, fine Siler, Davis or L&R lock appropriate to style, trigger guard, single trigger,
one ramrod thimble and a side plate appropriate to style. This is commonly called a "poor boy" or "barn gun"

I DO NOT make such a rifle for sale, but only mention this type rifle to provide a baseline for customers to estimate how much their particular rifle might cost according to the pricing structure below. In addition, I do not make "fantasy rifles" such as the Killdeer rifle, or other unknown/non-existent rifles such as "Daniel Boone's gun". I can and do make a fair copy or example of any existing original rifle for which pictures and/or reference exists. I can do slight modifications of such rifles to personalize it, but still keep within the original school or original maker's style.

Basic rifle as described above: $1400
Additional options:
curly maple stock +$100-$200

swamped, octagon to round, +$200
or other custom barrel

full hardware in brass, iron +$200
or silver

molding around lock, rear ramrod +$120
and along forestock

set triggers +$70

extra barrel length +$100 - $200
custom order

brown hardware +$150

add patchbox wooden +$200
or 2 piece

Add 4 piece patchbox +$300

detailed incised or relief +$180 - $1000
carving appropriate to
style of rifle

Engraving +$100 - $250

Extremely fancy and custom rifles with inlays, custom made hardware etc may be more

As far as a 'fantasy' rifle, it's mighty hard to know what you can get away with unless you are making an EXACT copy of an existing piece - and then what proof do you have that something wasn't changed at some later time during it's service life? Frizzens wear out, springs and cocks break, ramrods get lost or broken, barrels are refreshed, taste in sights change, etc. etc. There are only two signed J.Rupp rifles known last I knew. Both of these are the work of an already accommplished smith. How many pieces did he partially complete as an apprentice and how many others did he produce on his own that are lost or unidentifled as being his work? The amount of lattitude you allow yourself depends on your own conscience and interpretations you can justify to yourself, and to others if that matters to you.

The region I have lived in all my life was raized by Sullivan in the 1780's and settled by Rev. War vetrans exercising their land grants in the 1790's. I wanted a rifle representative of that period, but I also wanted forged iron furniture because I like the looks of it. I opted for the Rupp pseudo-copy piece I mentioned earlier. Iron furniture is rare on any PA longrifle, and, to my knowledge, only a few of the later Lehigh/Allentown/Bethlehem examples have it (though earlier examples from other PA 'schools' had it). Does this mean it was not done? Or, does it mean no examples survive? I like the lines of Lehighs and the looks of iron, so I 'extrapolated' what Rooks would describe as a fantasy piece.

Can we assume only five 'patterns' of longrifle existed in 1760 because of the handful of identified examples on hand? Certainly not. The Rupp brothers were both listed in Maguncie Town tax roles as blacksmiths as well as gunsmiths. How big of a stretch is is to imagine Mr. Rupp grabbing a piece of available iron if brass were scarce (there was a war on in 1780, after all)? I was able to convince my gunsmith to go with iron because I wanted it, and he thought it would be a good match. Perhaps 230 years ago I would have had the same luck with Mr. Rupp?

But that's a question that cannot be answered and so gives no support if anyone challenges the historical accuracy of my rifle. But historical accuracy doesn't fill the smokehouse. :winking:

I have two sources that date J.P. Becks birth as being in 1751 which would make a circa 1760 Beck rifle as one being made by a nine year old??? Oerter started his apprenticeship under Albrech in 1759 so he most likely did not do much of his own untill he took over the shop in 1766,
Dickert is thought to have possibly worked in Christian Springs in the 1760's before moving to Lancaster there are some guns thought to be his in RCA from both areas, I think there is one thought to be around 1761 but it will differ from the later Dickert offerings, therein lies the big problem, the limited range of offerings available for the pre-Rev War guns. The best bet is to see if your library can get RCA I&2 on loan and look at the originals and see what you like.I would think that going with a general style or area of gun may be easier than a specific builder as this usually involes some pretty talented and detailed specific carving and ingraving....an example would be one of the Issac Haines kits, without the tell tale designs in relief carving it is basicly just an early Lancaster mid 1770's straight stocked rifle that could have been made by several builders of the time.

Teach me about Dickert!

Ironsights: Jacob Dickert was born in Maintz Germany on Jan 9,1740. He was brought to America by his parents in 1748 and settled in Berks Co. Penn. In the 1756-1758 time frame he moved to Lancaster Co. Penn.
He appears on the Lancaster Tax Rolls in 1770,1772 and 1776 which list him as a gunsmith.

The material I have does not give a date when he might have started making his guns, but in 1774 he and another gunsmith named John Henry set up a barrel boreing mill.
In 1775 the Lancaster Committee of Safety ordred Dickert to make muskets and in 1776 the same committee ordered rifles from him.

If you want conjecture on my part, by 1760 he may have finished his apprenticeship and started building guns but I have no evidence supporting that idea.
He died Feb 22, 1822 "of old age".

Sources:

GUNSMITHS OF LANCASTER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA James Whisker
Early American Gunsmiths 1650-1850 Henry Kauffman

Latest posts

Back