• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct F&I Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I'm not sure which designation you referred to as modern but the term, "Carolina gun" is not a new one.See:
In the records of wills and estate inventories for York County,Va.covering the period fom 1732 to 1740 there is an inventory of the contents of a store run by one Thomas Hancock.Included anong the shooting supplies were "40 Carolina guns" valued at 22 pounds 10 shillings for the lot.{Gill,1974,p.14}
The British Gun barrel Proof Act of 1855 still included "Carolina" guns in the small arms category:"Class 3;Single-barrel birding and fowling pieces of every description for firing shot and those known by the names of Danish,Dutch,Carolina,and Spanish"{Engelhardt,1954, P.161}
These two quotes were taken fron a talk given to the American Society of Arms Collectors in September 1991 by Lee Burke and included in Bulletin Number 65. It is an expansion of the chapter included in "Colonial Frontier Guns"by T.M. Hamilton.
Type G like Types C and D are modern archealogical terms given to such material by T. M. Hamilton. It should be noted that that Hamilton had 2 other books plus a chapter included in "Indian Trade Guns"{1982}. The other 2 books are:
"Early Indian Trade Guns:1625-1775"{1968} Museum of the Great Plains in which he discussed Types A through R.
"Firearms on the Frontier:Guns at Fort Michilimackinac 1715-1781"{1976}.

I was referring to the 'type G' being the new term and the 'Carolina gun' as the old term. I thought that was clear, sorry.

Mike, At least we hopefully educated some folks,well maybe.
Tom :imo:

Les,You are comparing a very light weight English fowler with a somwehat heavier smooth rifle.These are 2 totally different guns.The original post for this thread involved a question on smooth bores particularly fowlers in the pre Revolutionary Southeast and especially South Carolina.I assume you may be in Pennsylvania but don't know what persona in which you are involved or where your interest lies.The Type G gun and the Carolina gun are the same gun. It's just that the former relates to the archealogical terms, G,H,J,and K used by Hamiton to define his material and the latter relates to a complete non-archealogical gun. The gun shown by TOW and made by Jack Brooks himself is a picture of what a Carolina gun should look like. It is a copy of the Bumford gun owned by Colonial Williamsburg.I don't believe and I doubt many other researchers believe it to be an Indian gun because of the painted floral decoration on the butt.Otherwise it is a classic example of a Carolina/Type G gun.There are a number of guns available for the 18th century and the Northeast depending on your persona,time frame,and area.
Tom Patton

There has been a great deal of discussion on the English Type G gun also referred to by many collectors and researchers as Carolina guns.As I mentioned in my previous post the Type G gun along with Hamilton's accompanying designations of Types H.J,and K are strictly archealogical terms whereas the latter Carolina gun is a complete non archealogical gun.For those of you who would care to see what this gun should look like see the Type G gun for sale on TOW by Jack Brooks himself. It is a very good copy of the Bumford gun now in Colonial Williamsburg.I suggest that you print out this particular gun with all the views of the same and retain it for your records.Jack is one of the very best makers working today and has specialized in this particular gun.I also posted a web site for Ben Coogle,another maker whose work I feel is very good.Hopefully this will clear away some of the cob webs.
Tom Patton

Back