• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Could a steel pipe bung be milled into a hooked Breech plug?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The issue is the integrity of the metal. That's a lot of work for nothing, I think.
What are you trying to accomplish?

I have on old CVA barrel that needs a plug but none are available so I was wonder what could be done to salvage it.

I have on old CVA barrel that needs a plug but none are available so I was wondering what could be done to salvage it.

Those are metric I think. Get a steel bolt-that's the right thread pitch. File or grind/sand it's face flat--bolts are a little cupped. Screw it into bbl. checking with spotting compound of some kind lipstick,sharpie etc-until it mates FLAT to bbl. bore shoulder. Make a pattern from thin brass or steel for the hook. Cut off bolt, and saw/file that profile until it hooks up square. If you have the old one there's your pattern also...Not hard, just takes some time & tools....Tom

Agree, a grade 5 or grade 8 bolt, filed/ground to shape is more than strong enough for a breech plug.

I have a gun building book ca. 1960 that gives that as the only option for a breech plug - guess places like Track didn't exist back then :confused:

Of course, if you are trying to mimic the original plug you will have to bore a chamber into the bolt.

Not too tough if you have a drill press or a lathe.

That's kinda the only way you will preserve it's "drop in" configuration.

DRUM2_zps13d5ae0f.jpg

I don't mean to sound like "granny" on the safety aspect but I think you really ought to use steel of acceptable quality rather than messing around with mild steel that may have a flaw, etc.
Dixie Gun Works sells blanks, you thread (would have to do that any way) and cut the tang to what ever you want (have to do that any way). And the general shape is already there.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7398

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry- I forgot you wanted a hooked breech- still, I'd look around. I'm sure you'll find something that will work.

Thanks for all the input guys. I ordered a new complete barrel from deer creek outfitters. I suppose the old barrel may just be a paperweight now.

Ok, I have this CVA barrel that I picked up in this condition with the intention to have it cut and rebreeched. So, I don't know how difficult it is going to be to remove the existing Ummmm flash channel? that you see has been cut off, but I think once this is done, the hook breech should be able to be simply :shocked2: :youcrazy: :surrender: wrenched out.

Does this seem feasible to do.....and is this the part the OP needs for his barrel? 'Cause I'm not going to need it.

Dave

photo2_zps62f4ce2c.jpg

photo1_zpsc7f6479e.jpg

I have some EZ-out extractors that I can give it a try. I'm assuming perhaps with some overnight pre-oiling this could be possible to do?? Tell me before I start down a road I don't want to go.

Dave

Never thow out anything. You might some day cut up the old barrel into two pistol lengths. In fact, ordering the new barrel and keeping the old was really the smart move. If you ever get around to building two pistols the money you spent on the new rifle barrel will be off set by what you save using the old barrel for pistols.

Yes that's what I need for my old barrel. Good luck getting it out though they can really grow in there!

This may seem immodest but I lifetime of owning old junk has turned me into a bit of fastener whisperer so here is my two cents.

Clamp it vertical and pour in some ATF/Penetrating oil. Every day for the next week or 3 heat the breech area with a propane torch until your smoke alarm goes off and ATF comes boiling out the vent. replenish penetrant/ATF as you breath it away.

Once you have done this for a week or five clamp it up real well in your vice, put a 2-3 foot extension on your 'perfectly' fitting wrench and twist it out of there.

For that thing that is threaded into the barrel it will come out.

Well worth trying to preserve as much of the barrel as possible.

EDIT just had a thought maybe check and make sure the vent liner is not interfering with the breech plug.

You can make one with a hack saw and a file from a standard breach plug, or you could do the same thing with an appropriate bolt.

Here is an example:

A while back a fellow asked me to replace the 1:28 twist bullet barrel on his Hatfield rifle with a longer, 1:48" round ball barrel. I told him I would be glad to perform the job for him, but warned him that the cost of parts and my time would possibly exceed the value of his gun. Since the gun was an old favorite of his he wanted me to proceed. The original rifle was manufactured here in Missouri, so I thought it only natural to order the replacement barrel from DeHaas barrels, as they hail from Missouri as well!

The Hatfield rifle has a hooked breech, and the barrel is likely an import so I opted to make my own hooked breech plug for the replacement barrel. I started with a 3/4 x 16 plug from Track of the Wolf, and fitted the plug to the barrel.

01.jpg

Then I cut the tang and the lower excess off the back of the plug:

02.jpg

Then I colored the plug with a blue Sharpie and did some layout lines, and cut on it some more with a hack saw and jeweler's saw.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Then some file work with various files:

5a.jpg

getting closer:

06.jpg

When I felt I was close, I started test fitting into the existing tang portion of the breech until it all fit well. I didn't get any pics of those steps, but I used inletting black to transfer interferences after it was very close.

Now some comparisons to the original:

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

The finished product:

10a.jpg

10.jpg

This process was pretty straight forward and simple. A little careful measuring, cutting and filing, and there you go!

Curtis

Tetsa Prowler said:
This may seem immodest but I lifetime of owning old junk has turned me into a bit of fastener whisperer so here is my two cents.

Clamp it vertical and pour in some ATF/Penetrating oil. Every day for the next week or 3 heat the breech area with a propane torch until your smoke alarm goes off and ATF comes boiling out the vent. replenish penetrant/ATF as you breath it away.

Once you have done this for a week or five clamp it up real well in your vice, put a 2-3 foot extension on your 'perfectly' fitting wrench and twist it out of there.

For that thing that is threaded into the barrel it will come out.

Well worth trying to preserve as much of the barrel as possible.

EDIT just had a thought maybe check and make sure the vent liner is not interfering with the breech plug.

Testa....I apologize, but I probably let you to the wrong conclusion. I was going to attempt to do this just to get the OP the tang. My purpose of acquiring this barrel was to have it cut shorter, then the breech rethreaded so I could just "slap" it onto a T\C stock. I've measured it, and if cut and breached with the right hook breach...or something that could be filed a bit to fit a T\C breach, one of the double under barrel cuts will line right up with the T\C brass pin.

Now, I will have (provided the barrel will shoot well...and there's no indication it wouldn't) a good hunting rifle. The very accurate GM barrel that is now on my T\C stock would then go into a new Hawken project with a stock with at least a 3" comb drop, Model# 900DT - Double Throat Flintlock - Right Hand, plus some other goodies I want vs what T\C has.

So, then I will have a hunter.....and a range shooter...or hunter if I want.

Oh no!!!! Two rifles and one handgun!!!! I'll need to build another handgun to keep the world in balance!!

Dave

Are you talking about a standard hardware store pipe plug? Because those fittings are mostly cast metal, in my line of work when we demo pipe we seldom unscrew it. Generally we take a 4lb hammer and just bust the fittings. Those plugs/bungs are cast from the same metal, and would have similar strength. Hope this helps.

razor

Back