• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Could caps do this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For a long time I have been using 1075 plus RWS caps and the .50 cal. Investarms Hawken has been very accurate and consistent shooting off of the bench at 50 yds. Today I went out used the same load, patches, and patch lube and had flyers both above and below (about 8") POA with the only difference being I used CCI #11 caps. Could the caps cause this? Hard to believe they would make that much difference. I've used CCI before and never seemed to have a problem.

Yes, @Ed C., changing caps can cause a difference in on target accuracy. You have different heat profiles and quantities of the priming compounds. A CCI magnum might come close to the performance of the RWS 1075 caps.

Ask the reenactors who have observes such performance changes using the CCI Reenactor (For firing blanks) Musket caps compared to the RWS Musket caps.

Interesting, anyone done any "scientific " tests ? All I have are CCI 11 so I have nothing to compare with.

I don't think so but anything is possible. A range trip with both and two targets posted side by side. Alternate the caps with a separate target for each and the story should be told.
That is the plan. I did that with a 58 Remington and there was no difference between the caps. A mystery to me as to why the Hawken should be throwing flyers all of a sudden.. Maybe check it out Friday or Sat.

Interesting, anyone done any "scientific " tests ? All I have are CCI 11 so I have nothing to compare with.
I would call it an informal comparison and observation rather than scientific testing, but in the past I found that RWS 1075 Plus percussion caps have the least velocity variation from shot to shot with various black powders and subs. The Remington caps had the most variation, not counting the occasional fail to fires. The largest velocity variations were with T7 (no matter the cap), and the least with Swiss. The most consistent velocities overall were with Swiss 3F and the RWS caps. Interestingly, also gave the best accuracy out of multiple 45 cal GM LRH barrels shooting paper patched ~400~ grain conicals out to the moderate distance of 300 yards.

If one is interested in accuracy, probably best to see what works best in the guns they are shooting. It may be surprising. And if all you have are number 11 CCI caps, you have one less variable to test.

Ever wonder what powder and caps the current top accuracy long distance shooters use? Guess you could ask what drives their component decisions, ‘free’ stuff from vendors/sponsors or performance?

I think we have to consider lot to lot variations especially in the covid/post covid period.

As far as science goes, there are different levels of inquiry and the one I suggested will deliver some factual information for consideration if not a certain explanation. It's the scientific methodology that matters.

Back