• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cover Scent Soap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing can smell a hunter if he's down wind; even if he's close and down wind.

I never use anything or take any precaution and I've been as close as 3 feet to a 10 point buck who spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what I was before he strolled away. I was hunting on the ground with an old recurve and had a large limb of a downed tree too close to allow me to draw my bow.

I will stand in the smoke of the campfire if I'm at deer camp. I don't know if it helps, but I doubt it hurts after I've been in camp a few days and the only water I've been close to is in my coffee or drained behind a handy tree.

I've always thought that if it ate at me to do something, I'd sprinkle some baking soda on myself and my clothes before heading out.

I think there is something else that needs mentioning. Now I realize that not all folks are alike in thier bodily makeup and natural smell. That said it has been my personal experience over the years that one that spends thier working day out of doors, preferably in a rural or wooded environment will have a totally different smell than someone who works in an office or manufacturing space. For some reason body odor of one who lives out of doors does not have that sour rank odor of those that live indoors most of the time. Yeah, I know folks take showers, well aside from what soap is used there is what I would call a residual smell. After a short period of time..most of the soap smell dissapates to some degree. Many times I have come home after spending a week or so in the bush and the wife would say I smell like the woods. Never did she say or complain of any BO when I came back home. And no...I did not bathe or use any scented soaps out[url] there..in[/url] fact all I did do was brush my teeth. Just me..but I do beleive folks today have a odd hang up about smell. Sort of like the thing that tobacco haters do.

Last edited by a moderator:
"residual smell"?

Kinda like when folks come over and our cats or Scotties sniff them al over and the comment is always; "They must smell my dog, cat, llama, gorilla, or whatever on me?"

If this is true, and it likely is, I smell of cats, dogs, Jersey milk cows, Milking Devon oxen, pigs, chickens, rabbits, wife, coffee, and woodsmoke most of the time.

The only really frightening smell here would be that of wife. I love her but I wouldn't want to cross her in the deep woods. One could end up clobbered with an iron skillet or in it.

people are in the woods so much anymore i dont think your smell maters much,,,got an 8 pt at 2 feet a few years back,,, :results:

I have read that deer often smell smoke in the woods, as long as no heat is felt they are not alarmed

Deer spooking from cigerette smoke is one of the old wives tales that has been with us for a long time.

Back