• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cover that cap!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
CapCover.jpg

Here is an idea I got from a muzzleloading magazine recently. I think I copied it correctly. The gentleman had a .58 caliber hawken he was using.
It appeared to be a small powder measure covering the nipple so that is what I used. I got a 20 grain fixed measure from TOTW and it fits absolutely perfectly over the nipple of my GPR.
It is held in place by the hammer. The hammer does not sit atop the cover but it holds it very securely. I pulled pretty hard on the leather strap and it wouldn't move.
The measure was too long so I cut about a third of it off with a mini tubing cutter.
This seems like a great way to keep the cap dry in bad weather and when it is time for the shot and you pull the hammer back it simply falls away and hangs from the strap.

Huntin

FYI, there is actually a commercially made device very similiar to the one you made called a "Kap Kover".
It includes a matching Hot Shot nipple that has an 'O' ring in a groove around it's shoulder, and the Kap Kover slides down and seals around the 'O' ring to prevent moisture from getting in...and serves as a safety as well.
On my TC Hawkens, the hammer shrouds rest directly on top of the Kap Kover holding it in place...slick idea...now that you're in production, the competition should drive down prices!! :crackup:

I bet it was a kap kover he had on that rifle.
I just did my best to duplicate what I saw in the magazine.
I have no o-ring on mine but I really don't think it is needed unless you let your rifle get REALLY wet.
Maybe I will get to see how mine works this season depending on the weather.

Huntin

Unless the hammer is in the half cock notch, I wouldn't trust one of these when out in the woods with a loaded, capped rifle.

Although you pulled on it and it didn't dislodge, when your back is turned, the evil hands of nature can reach over and do things like knock the cover off of the nipple.
If the hammer is free to fall on the cap, it may fire the gun.

If the nipple was un-capped, then this cover could work nicly to keep the rain out of the nipple.
Then on the other hand, when that big White tail or Muley steps out in front of you, who's got time to dig out a capbox for a cap? :shocking:

and you pull the hammer back it simply falls away and hangs from the strap.

Does that make unwanted noise as it falls and hits things like the lock, stock, trigger guard?

The "click" from cocking the gun is bad enough sometimes when hunting the alert whitetails...

you no what you guys are missing here ?
Out hunting made it himself , from his mind . now he may not have made the parts but he said MMMMMMM??? :hmm: i know what would work! :D, the old grey matter was crankin and thats what counts .

who cares if there is already something on the market the fact of the mater is there really isnt unless it was made by him .
way to go :applause: , IMO thats what this is all about :thumbsup:.

You guys are starting to hurt my feelings :cry:

I thought I had a good idea and you are killing it for me :blah:

You both have valid points.

Musketman, I tested your question and it doesn't fall away on it's own. I have to remove it from the nipple so I can drop it and let it hang quietly.

The hammer is not sitting at half cock when it is holding the cover in place so I would say there is a slight chance of the rifle firing if the cover came off. I am not worried about this because the cover can stay on by itself and I can carry the rifle at half cock and still keep the cap covered.

I will try it in the field and see how it works. If it fails then I will go back to the drawing board.

Huntin

Captchee,
Thanks for the kudos. At least there is someone on here that doesn't want to burst my bubble ::
Whether the input on here is possitive or negative it is always helpful.
I'm glad to be a member of this fine group :master:

Huntin

Captchee,
Thanks for the kudos. At least there is someone on here that doesn't want to burst my bubble ::

I wasn't trying to burst your bubble, I just didn't want you to miss a deer because of unwanted noise, humans are noisy enough on their own...

Make great christmas gifts for all your shootin' friends... :winking:

MM,
I was joking. My feelings weren't hurt. :blah:
I appreciate all of the input.

Smoked,
The GPR is sitting on a Case-Gard Site-In-Clean rest.

Huntin

I do pretty much the same thing, but not nearly as pretty, using .22 rimfire casings. Generally, the Long, not Long Rifle, casings work best, but .22 WMR are OK too.

I never thought about the half-cock, but imagine you could trim to fit the length needed, which would be different with each gun.

BTW, I also use .22 long cases as a 'snap - cap' for the sidelocks. Dry firing with them in place lets me work on trigger pull without too much trouble.

I use a 9mm...or is it a .380??? Been using it for years. Use a leather strap long enough to clear the trigger guard. Also tarnish the brass to dull the shine

kb :m2c:

I use the little erasers that fit on the end of a pencil. Flatten off the top and they fit snug and keep your cap dry. A package of 5 costs abot .49 cents

the fellow that makes the nipple cover with O ring lives not too far from me here in Idaho. He is in Elk River, Idaho and I use it....works super well. Carried Renegade 54 all day in dense fog and rain last week and shot whitetail at end of day with super good ignition time with no delay whatsoever. I highly recommend it! It also is added safety as the gun will not accidentally discharge while this Kap Kover is over nipple and it is attached by small leather strap which you just pull it off and let fall and "shoot".

Not to steal your thunder "huntin" as your cover is good too. This one with O ring is awesome though!

Cost is $9.95 and he has different thread sizes for different models.

It is called Safe-N-Dry Manufactured by K&M Industries, Inc.
Box 168
Elk River, Idaho 83827
Phone: 208-826-3447

Jim in Idaho

Don't worry about stealing my thunder.
I like to make things myself and all I did was copy an idea I saw.
The o-ring is a good idea but I think it's overkill unless you hunt in downpours.
My cover works just fine for me.

Huntin

Good idea Huntin, I have one of the commercial ones on one of my caplocks, works great, makes an excellent safety. I long ago wore that nipple out with the o ring and now just have a plain nipple under it, still works great.
Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Folks, Just though I would pass this on, FWIW.

This is just a bit "off the track" for some of you, but others may want to check into it for the state they live in.

When I first saw this I was excited! I was excited enough to make up a very similar cap cover using brass tubing, which I showed to my son-in-law, and his friend.... who happened to be a LEO in Thurston County, Washington.

I liked it, my son-in-law liked it, but Joe said, "Be careful with that, it could get you a ticket here in Washington"!

I didn't know what to say!....I simply could not believe it! Yesterday, I called the Fish & Wildlife folks, talked to a Game Warden who said he knew exactly the item I was talking about.
He explained it would be left up to the officer that checked my gun, but if that percussion cap was covered in "anyway", he felt sure I would be ticketed.

So....bottom line, make sure you can legally have this neat little gadget before you order one, or make one up.
Here in Washington state we have some very tough laws regaring muzzleloaders that are used during muzzle loading season..that percussion cap "must be exposed to the elements".. otherwise it is looked at the same as an in-line.

As a side note...the "Accra-Shot" nipple (the one that converts the percussion cap to a large rifle primer) is also illegal.
And, the conversion of a percussion cap to a musket cap is fine....go figure! :what:

Russ

:-( Pretty stupid law, really! when it must be removed to be fired, but I can understand how and why inlines would be illegal. They should be banned outright. They're why we no longer have a Muzzlelading Moose season - well not exactly just the inlines, it was inlines, scopes and maxiballs.
: What about a "cow's knee" over the entire lock?

Back