• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyote Capper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're likely to find that's pretty "snorty" for eating meat on small game. I haven't shot Swiss, but my understanding is that it's a little "hotter" than comparable granulations of Goex.

I based my 30-35 grain charge on the volume of the patent breech in the Lyman, as measured and reported by someone here on the site. I would love to go lower than that, but worry about having an air space under the ball, since it's going to stop at the junction of the breech and barrel.

I'd be using 2f Goex for a little slower burn and even lower velocity, but in my guns it's pretty fouly in small charges. If Swiss is indeed a little hotter and clean burning as everyone says in the first place, it likely will not be so fouly.

One thing for sure: I used to use 60 grains as my universal plinking and small game load until I dropped a ball into the neck of a snowshoe hare. Pretty well lifted the head right off and left both shoulders and the front of the loin so bloodshot I couldn't save them. Reminded me of the same shot with a fast 25-20 Win I own (1800 fps).

I'd sure try 30-35 grains as a start, then work up the scale in increments only if you weren't happy with the accuracy or fouling. Then I'd be REAL careful with shot placement.

In any case, I'm betting you'll be delighted with that little Deerstalker in the field. It's a joy to carry, and if yours is like my wife's, accurate as a snake bite with almost any charge.

It depends on how far you can shoot in your area and how far you want to shoot. I've been yote hunting for around 35 years and have tried most centerfire calibers. Most will work. I finally settled on .223 for several reasons. Fair distance, availability of ammo, and price if you shoot allot, and I do. I call with mouth calls and I always try to remember that it's called calling, not sniping. I like to get them in on top of me. So I carry a .223 and a 12ga shotgun. I prefer the shotgun. I really prefer to hunt with someone that can sit at an angle in front of me with the shotgun about 40 yards away. It's easier and usually more productive for me when one calls and one shoots. When they run in within 25 feet that means I did my job on the calls. Sometimes I take out my CVA .32cal caplock squirrel rifle with 30gr FFF and .310 rondball. It's his mistake if he stops within 100 yards. My .32 will shoot thru two 2x4's and stop in the face of the third with 30 grains FFF perodex at 25 yards. That's enough punch. It doesn't take a big ball to kill a coyote. It does take an accurate one. Coyotes and crows - I hate um both. K45

Back