• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CR Hart Rifle...info needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stretchman25

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently aquired a flintlock built on an English pattern sporting rifle that was built by CR Hart. Does anybody have any information on t his builder?

Thanks

There is (or was) a Hart rifle barrel co. in central NY, possibly Lafayette. While they produce center-fire barrels, I recall the local news reporting that they had made a flintlock (I believe for fun rather than for factory production). This was several years ago. Perhaps your C.R. Hart is related.

Robert Hart made barrels in NY, still does. His brother Wally has a shop in PA. where he builds centerfire guns using his brothers actions and barrels. Many years ago Wally was into flintlocks but everyone I've seen that he built had a Douglas barrel on it. I have no idea who CR Hart is.

How can I tell who manufactured the barrel? There are no stamps or markings on it other than the engraving of C R Hart. I would post some pictures of it, but I havent figured out how to post pictures on this forum.

Many barrel makers did not stamp the name on the barrel. Some older barrels like remington stamped them on one of the flats.

As far as I know Bob and Wally Hart always were on their own. Centerfire benchrest paid the bills, flintlocks were Wally's hobby. Thy're still in business, Google Robert Hart gunsmith, they have a nice web site.

hi sir yes they are the people that made the 7x62 sharps and hart they worked it up as a long range target round

I don't remember which one it was that we went to, but my dad had a rifle built by them in 7x62 s&h. The rifle if I remember correctly, was a Danish(?) that had locking lugs at the rear of the bolt.
The man that we saw complained that Remington stole their idea before they could patent.
Small world! :eek:ff

Gentlemen: We don't discuss things like 7X62 on the Muzzleloading Forum.

Please keep the posts confined to pre 1865 technology.

Latest posts

Back