• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cracked stock on renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Roundball; and to Buttonbuck; sorry for steeling your thread. I have a similar problem with a hawken and jumped in the middle of the conversation. This is a great forum, full of good folks willing to help out.
Darrell

I wonder if the Davis Deerslayer replacement for TC could be made to work. I have one of these in my GPR. I need to take it out and eyeball it.

The Davis Deerslayer isn't as much of an improvement on the TC as it is on the GPR but I would certainly rather have it. Anything is possible if you want to do enough re-work on it. If the new style trigger plate is unavailable, I would chance using the Deerslayer.

I agree, the Deerslayer I put on my Lyman was a big improvement over the factory installed one. I did pull my Deerslayer from my Lyman last night and compared it to the Thompson Center old style trigger. The Deerslayer evidently was designed to replace the new style TC as the needed 1/4" hole for the new tang bolt to pass through is there. Looks like I need another Deerslayer, new tang bolt, drill and tap and I am in business.
I did take Roundballs suggestion and talked to Scott Cain. He did not have seperate new style trigger plates and springs. He told me TC only sells complete trigger assemblies and that getting any TC parts since Smith & Wesson buy out has become more and more difficult and costly.
Thanks
Darrell

on a some what happy note I took the renegade out today and shot a bit. It shoots great at 25 yards. 100 g goex 2f with pillow ticking 6to1 ballistol patches. I have it sighted for dead on at 25. At 50 yards I did the 6:00 hold I got a sub 2" group but they hit about 3 1/2 inches low. I will try to bump up the charge by 10 grains or 20 at most up to 120 grains and see if the trajectory flattens out or arks the opposite direction. The crack is definately there but thin as can be. starts at the lock bolt goes to the thin part of the stock where the tang meets the barrel. I do not figure on trying any fixes Yet. I don't think I can get glue in the crack. I can see why this desighn was changed. I have 2 older hawkens and need to to look at them. I know they are the kind with the straight hammer spur. One I just shoot a 32 cal GM barrel off the 50 cal I plan to shoot more or give to one of the kids but would like to prevent any type of stock cracking if possible.

25 yard groups will tell you nothing.
Instead of using a 6:eek:'clock hold, try a center hold sight picture.
I have never used a .62 cal. rifle but your charges seem on the hefty side already.
Shoot for group at 50 yards. If they stay low consider filing down the front sight.
Methinks your best group charge will also be your preferred hunting charge with that punkin' ball tosser.

Well I had TC check their stock and the Renegade is Obsolete. So no stocks. I think What I will do is wait and see, epoxy the crack and use the Davis deer slayer trigger, see about a different trigger guard, add a sling and a Limbsaver recoil pad. Yeah I'm know make it a hotrod. Really this barrel is grouping too good not to have her hunt, it is like having a new puppy.

About the tang screw mod....

On a double trigger T/C you can only do the front screw. It threads into right above where the
guard meets the trigger assembly. This is what the later rifles have.

You can do both screws of the single trigger. The front one ends up between the guard
and the mounting hole. The rear one behind the guard.

I used 10-32 for the first couple of mods, I found 8-32 works better.
Be careful with the drill depth so not to go through. I take off the plating
on the screws with the bench wire brush and blue them with a propane torch.

Before I figgered this out, a friend had a White Mountian crack badly and it kept
breaking under rib screws. My PennHunter cracked badly on both sides. I replaced the stock.

I would definately do this on any of the light 50's. The one inchers dont seem to crack much.
I did the renegade because it was going to be a hellfire 58.

Time was when you could send a cracked stock back to T/C and they would do the mod for you
and replace the stock. Now I dont know.

wm4.jpg

ren4.jpg

If you have The Gunsmith Of Grenville County go to page 48, figure 16,now that is the cats whiskers for drilling tang bolts and such through long holes.Never drill off center or miss your target hole ever again.
Reads there is a MFG of a simular tool by Gerry Gutchess of R.E.Davis Company. The tool is so simple in designe,,,,,

Thank you, I am going to do this modification on my rifles. This infomation you all have provided shows exactly how to do the job.
Darrell

Back