• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cracked Stock Repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really messed up a nose cap inlet one time, I bought a cast nose cap, hated it and changed to thin formed one but needed to replace all of the wood I had removed for the cast cap inlet. The cast nose cap is shown in the picture.

Superglue and sawdust to the rescue, this combo is as hard as a rock.

nose cap supergle and sawdust.JPG

I've repaired all manner of things that go BOOM. Spread crack, 2 part epoxy mixed with fine saw dust to match.Epoxy must penetrate to inside.Remove spacers squeeze and wipe excess from rod channel....NOW we diverge, cut tin foil to fit barrel channel to fit full lenght plus 1/2" past front, put in barrel and tightly taping the hell out of it , by turning electrical tape,, sticky side up you'll aviod adhesive on your parts, stretch tape when making a couple points on the repair,let sit over night. trim overage on tin foil front. You may have clean epoxy from pin holes,then gently install rounded pins. Sounds harder than it is ,,,But your Great Grandkids will be shooting that rifle LONG after You're gone...Be Safe>>>>Wally

A slow cure epoxy, I like Accra Glass best and it comes with dyes. A good heavy coat of wax also is a good release agent. Wrap tight with inner tube bands or surgical tubing after putting the barrel back in.

You break your gun.

You ask for help.

People who know what the hell they're talking about offer advice to help you.

You reject the advice and help while not saying THANK YOU for the advice and help.

Then you say those of us that offered advice and help have fragile egos.

Just doesn't add up.
I believe he did thank those that actually helped but there were more posts that were critical than helpful.

I'm going with the clear Starbond. It's almost invisible against oiled walnut:
IMG_3480.JPG

The repair will be posted as a build log entry. My thanks to all that made useful and informative suggestions both about product, process and technique.

Only thing about super glue , once it's on the surface of light colored wood , it won't take alcohol base stain. Has to be sanded off the surface for stain to work.
Thanks. I don't think it will be a concern due to where it's located. Good caveat to know, though, for future reference.

Only thing about super glue , once it's on the surface of light colored wood , it won't take alcohol base stain. Has to be sanded off the surface for stain to work.
One of the advantages of using dye with a product like Acraglas. Plus if the joint fails, Acraglas and similar will adhere to itself, while other types of adhesives will not.

Back