• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crazy Crow German tan skins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarcasmn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Crazy crow states the German tan skins are "commercial brain tan". Does anyone have experience with these skins and are they breathable like brain tan? Are they good for making pants or a shirt out of?

The German tanned skins are oil tanned, and as I understand it, are the closest thing you will find to the way that the vast majority of deer hides were tanned in the 18th century (not brain-tanned). The look and feel of them is very similar to brain tanned. I'm not sure I could even tell the difference, myself. I have a couple of hides, and they are so soft and supple and ooh, they're just nice to feel! :haha:

sarcasmn said:
Crazy crow states the German tan skins are "commercial brain tan". Does anyone have experience with these skins and are they breathable like brain tan? Are they good for making pants or a shirt out of?

I've used a bunch of it over the years as an alternative to brain tan and if brain tan is 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, the German tan is 9.5 on the scale. The only downside is the leather is a bit heavier than typical deer hide both in thickness (more like elk) and actual weight due to the added oil.
FWIW - German Tan comes smoked or un-smoked as well

It's very "breathable". :wink: Nothing at all like the slick, rubbery screaming yellow chrome tanned deerhide.

Eventually, I'll get around to using mine to make myself a pair of breeches. Eventually. :haha:

Buckskin is almost always chrome tanned. Unless it is specifically described otherwise (like German/oil tanned, brain tanned, or bark tanned), it is chrome tanned.

There apparently is some chrome tanned imitation brain tanned stuff. I somehow managed to get ahold of a couple of hides like this from Tandy (though not advertized that way) about ten years ago. They were screaming yellow, but they were soft, and "fuzzy" on the outside surface, as opposed to the normal shiny, rubbery surface of chrome tanned. It was really neat stuff. Haven't seen any like that since.

Latest posts

Back