• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Critter day at the deer stand!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
Another day of no Bambi sightings. Weather finally chilled off but 35, sprinkley, foggy and windy don't help...though makes flinting interesting! Spent all afternoon yesterday with nothing but a big, ole Bobcat(and I mean big-ole)showing up. Sat it out till about noon and figured I'd get warm, dry and fed. Went to place S.E. of Austin called "Wild Bubba's" where the burgers turn to elk, antelope, yak, buffalo, wild boar, venison, longhorn or angus for the faint-of-heart!

Back in the tree for the later afternoon and all I see after a couple hours is Bob again. I've seen Bobcats before but this guy is as big as Chow! Holy Cannoli, Batman, I'm talking 3 feet long(not counting tail) and probably 25 -30 pounds! According to my own "don't eat it/don't shoot it" rule, I'm sitting there going, "I've fixed muskrat and fox before..but Bobcat?" Then the fly fisherman part goes, "Look at that pelt, think what you could tie with those colors" The 'eat it' rule won out. He'd have made an interesting winter hat but I didn't even know if he fit in the 'shootable' category according to Texas rules...oh well, he's lived this long. Adios Bob!

An hour later I see movement and out steps this goofy, black & white, antelope looking critter with a big, dark pair of 'corkscrew' horns! I'm doing the up the tree 'what the mare's nest is that?' head shake. Suddenly, I recalled there's an exotic animal ranch about a mile or so away and figured he must be a fence jumper...considering the fence they have, not a bad jumper! He's munching the shrubbery and diddling around for about 30 minutes before wandering off. I know, I could have bagged him and kept quiet, but it just didn't seem right somehow.

About 5:15 I've had enough, seeing the whitetail are smart enough to stay in the brush where it's warmer and dryer...probably one watching me all the time and thinking, "Stupid two-legged owl hoot, wonder why he doesn't find a warm place?" I'm getting at the end of my patience anywho. There's a particularly irritating 'limb-chicken' that's been jumping around a nearby tree and chattering at me for some time and a .610" ball would have been a bit traumatic, leaving little but gray seasoning, had I been so inclined. I've been cussed out in duck before but hadn't been scolded that much in squirrel for many a year! Just to clear the gun, I waited till he ducked behind the tree trunk and let'er rip right about where I figure he's hiding on the off-side. Bushytail does his "Rocky the Flying Squirrel" impression off the back of the oak from about 15 feet up and goes blazing away in a rooster-tail of leaf debris!! Nearly wet myself on that one, absolutely hysterical! Long day but some of the kind of memories that'll stay with me a long time. Wish you all a fun day now and then.

Oh, by the way, stopped by the game ranch to tell them they had a critter out. Turns out he's a he and is a Blackbuck antelope, originally from India & Pakistan...also named "B.W."(black & white) and a frequent escapee who returns each night. One more fact for the "you're not believing this" file.

I live in upstate NY and one day while out grouse hunting on my meager 20 acres I spotted a deer that wasn't quite right. Chocolate brown and with spots and a tall rack.

Now, I'm all for immigration but not so much for introduced species. Obviously no ear tag so I waited behind a milliflori rose bush that was in the woodlot edge the deer was working along and, although I only had a 20 ga SxS I murdered it. No sport or glory here; but don't discount what a patient man can do with #6 high brass shotshells. All the meat tasted like liver - which is something I will eat but don't prefer.

Turned out a local entrepeneur wanted to make a game preserve but imported animals with out the proper licensing and when the DEC arrived to shut him down it turns out he had just previously had a fence malfunction and the fallow deer had escaped. Of the 12 he "lost" mine and one other have been reported. The rest run free or went down as whitetail to hunters.

After it was confiscated and checked for CWD, rabies and tuberculosis I was "awarded" the skull cap with antlers and the meat - but the hide, brain and other bits stayed with the DEC.

HPIM0374a-1.jpg

HPIM0360.jpg

I also raised Jacob Sheep and understand some folks hunt these little guys.

DSCN0210.jpg

Though I must say they taste MUCH better than fallow deer!

Turns out they had a really odd looking thing of the antelope family called a Nilgai (I believe), as well as Silka, Fallow and Axis deer. Never really figured out the 'why' of it unless you like odd deer and antelope breeds. The Nilgai thing is about the size of an elk with a hump and a head no bigger than our whitetails...I'm sorry but that's one butt-ugly animal. Even they don't know how that one Blackbuck gets out, but that fence is 12 to 15 feet high and there's no dug out places. Don't know how much they have in these critters but they won't last out during deer season in Texas. "Hey Vern, look'it that bigg'un!..."BOOM! At least you got one for the photo album! :thumbsup: :haha:

Bobcat is very good eating. It is very lean pork-chicken like texture. I have only cut it up in nuggets and fried it but I am sure it would be good other ways. I have served it to a lot of people and nobody spit it out even when I told them what it was, they usually grab another piece. Sounds like a nice hunt anyway.

Nope,don't care for liver :nono: guess iffin one of those makes it to NC,I'll let it walk :td:

I used to raise blackbuck and mouflon. All the blackbuck died of a CNS viral disease. The U of Fla. sent a van down to take one to the vet school to study the disease. The animals turned blind and then got disoriented and eventually collapsed and died. The process took months.

Your black blackbuck was in breeding mode. They are tan/white the rest of the year. Mine only weighed about 60-70 lbs.

Wes/Tex said:
Turns out they had a really odd looking thing of the antelope family called a Nilgai

I have heard the Nilgai are extremely hard to hunt...very wary...even on game farms (of appropriate size so one is actually hunting and not shooting a penned animal.) Have seen a few hunts on TV shows.

Stumpkiller....I'm with you on shooting exotics. If the guy next door can't keep it enclosed, it's fair game in my book. I'm not against exotic farms, but they must be contained and not allowed to get out. Part of the responsibility of being in the exotics business.

Shoot that Bob Cat with a camera. :thumbsup:
Would love to see one in the wild.

You can get a picture that shows more detail this way: :grin:

This one only weighed 17 lbs. I gave it to a guy who has wanted to mount one for years.

"This one only weighed 17 lbs. I gave it to a guy who has wanted to mount one for years."

Mounting something you did not shoot is like buying a mount and putting it on your wall for others to see and think you shot it.

My opinion and I get to have it.

Bobcats are beautiful creatures and one of my favorites. I've seen quite a few over the years while deer hunting. Long, long ago I killed two nice cats within a few days of each other and from the same stand. The first one weighed 22 lbs, IIRC, and the second one came in at 19 lbs. They were both female, too. Didn't eat them but did keep the pelts. I used a .45 H&A underhammer rifle and a prb.

Are you crazy? Smoke that cat! How can you take a shot at a squirrel but not a huge bobcat?
And free range blackbuck don't come along every day. Part of being a hunter is being opportunistic to some degree. Just like that bobcat would be. I will never get to shoot a bobcat so do it for me! Of course you won't see him again now, but if you do, drop the hammer on him. I think you need to change your rule to "if you can use it, shoot it." Great read though, love it when the unexpected happens.

Interesting, have never eaten Bobcat but a spicy fox dish and muskrat etouffee taught me it'd probably work for anything. He had to be a full grown male to have been that size and it might have taken a little slow cooking, no idea how Bobcat might toughen on older animals!

That's also what the farm owner said. Makes me glad I didn't try to take him. Not sure what he's looking for outside the fence but the whitetail does better look out if Horny Mike is on the loose! :haha:

roundball said:
Good story !
:thumbsup:
Thanks. To be completely honest, I thought about you on the way home...nice photos of good deer and I'm watching the critter parade. :wink:

Went back today but they were staying just outside my 'comfort range' for a smoothbore. Sitting there thinking, "The freaking squirrel is out there telling them 'Don't go near that tree over yonder, it's the two-legged idiot again'"!!

Latest posts

Back