• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crockett doe!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Wasmuth

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I know I know, you need a mountain howitzer to kill anything with a black powder rifle. But just because I can I put on my regalia, went out back and after about a 20 minute wait in a 15 foot ladder stand I sent a .310 Hornady round ball, with a 020 pillow ticking patch lubed with bacom greeze, followed by 40 grains of FFg Goex thru this doe. Proper camo, buckskin leggings, oak bark dyed footshotki (Long Shirt), mocs, and a blue head wrap, knowing what yer rifle can do and holding to those limitations and just having a good time is essential to good deer management. Its amazing what that little ball can do at 30 yards.

CrockettDoe005.jpg

that's pretty neat. I like the idea of smaller, lighter rifles and less overkill - of course I'm building another .54.

In Iowa, I do not believe your rifle would be legal. But if the average hunter would be as shot selective and conscientious as you, I sure don't have a problem with it.

Nice job.

I know bruda, I know, I sure wish they would put one out in flintlock. But, I thinks I am gona build me a close copy of it in flinter. :thumbsup:

Here in Texas we dont have a minimum cal. requirment. The furthest I will shoot a deer with it is 35 yards, and then only doe deer, lighter bone structure. I've killed smallish wild hogs with it in the 65/70 pound range out to 50 yards but wont shot further than that at them with it. Its a sweet shooting rifle. Absolutly love it.

Nice job, congratulations! Makes my .40 seem like overkill. :haha:

:hatsoff:
Spot

Mountain Home, twix Junction and Kerrville. and thats my 02 Dodge Ram. While crankin the deer up on the dressing rack the datburn steel cable busted so I had to lay her in the truck till I got it fixed.

Man I feel like an idiot! Looks like a mid-90's Ford pickup bed :redface: . Anyhow, I was asking cause I was born and raised not to far from there- Fredericksburg. Great country to hunt. I am hoping to finally take a deer with my .54 this season. Congrats again.

Good go!
But I have to ask you-is that .32 a magnum? I was stuffing mine with 25 grs. of 3f and felt like It was a lot. 40 grs.! I'll be. I'm gonna have to try that. Not legal in CO for anything but varmints. Might make a good long range coyote load.
Thanks.

Back