• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crockett trigger question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imdarren

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a 32 Crockett.
I have not shot live rounds yet, however, the set trigger pulls WAY too hard! I know this is common with these, but can someone please direct me to a proper fix?
Is this somthing I can modify myself? (I'm fairly handy)
If so some advise would be great.
Or, is it somthing best left for a gun smith?
It's just the set trigger that needs work. Help / advise please.

Darren

Have you tried screwing in the adjustment screw between the triggers. If not, set the trigger then screw it in until it fires then back it out about 1/2-3/4 turn.

Rebel,
Will that make the back set trigger pull easier?
I thought the screws were just to adjust how easy the front trigger fires?
I'm a newbie here obviously, I just want to make sure I understand you.

The back trigger is just to set the front trigger. Pull the back trigger back until it clicks and you feel the trigger set. then try the front trigger. If it is still too heavy turn the screw in and try again. Don't try this with the hammer on half cock though, as you may break the sear. Leave the hammer all the way down and keep adjusting until you get it where you want it.

Rebel,

I think he wants to adjust the pull of the set trigger.

I don't know how to adjust the back trigger. The set triggers on both my GPR and my T/C Renegade are pretty heavy, but that's not a problem as they don't affect accuracy, since they don't fire the gun. This should only matter if it is uncomfortable or imossible to pull the set trigger.

How is the trigger pull without setting it?

Flash is correct.
I dont want the set trigger to pull so hard.
I'm a big / tough guy (6'2" - 280 lb) and It almost hurts to set it. (okay maybe hurting is a stretch)
The front trigger is okay without setting, but way too stiff for my liking (without setting that is).
Can someone help describe how to fix this tuff set trigger stuff? Or is it "not suggested for us non gun s,ith types?"

imdarren,

Have you tried contacting Traditions I had a couple of issues with a Traditions flintlock and I ended up referring it to their customer service department. I didn't get a whole lot of help at first. After a couple of emails I get a response from Maurice Adams; so you might want to send your questions to his attention or call and ask for him.

imdarren-I have one of the Crockett rifles,there is an adjustment for the set trigger, First you need to remove the trigger guard, the adjustment screw is right behind the set trigger, adjust to your own personal setting.Also a good time to adjust the trigger much easier with the guard off. Hope this helps..Be safe..Good shooting..Respectfully Montanadan..

Know what ya mean. You'll have to remove the trigger guard and triggers from the rifle. You'll find the mainspring which powers the set trigger is retained by one large screw and that loosening that screw will reduce the force required to set the back trigger.
However (don't ja jest love "howevers") the screw may not want to stay where set if it is very loose, so you may want to add a bit of leather or small O ring under the spring to keep tension on the screw. "Shoegoo" also works well for that.
Before re-installing the guard, check that your trigger still has enough power to drop the hammer, but it probably won't take much, certainly not so much as factory set.
:m2c:

Sorry Dan, I'm so slow that when I got my post in I discovered you had already said the same thing in a lot less words. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Coyote Joe -no big deal, sometimes I am un -easy about having folks pull their triggers(although they should and clean them out)as well as the locks. This will come out ALL WRONG, I'm just not sure about their mechanical abilities. Well I had better go now! Respectfully Montanadan

imdarren: Coyote Joe, and Montanadan are right on track, I had the same problem took two hands (fingers) to pull the back trigger. The front set was fine. Had to loosen the main spring for the set triggers. That made the pull ok but still strong with 1 finger. The thing to watchout for is if you get it to light it might not trip the sear. I had to work on the lock some before I finally got the pair to work correctly. I had to polish the lock to make it trip easier and loosen the trigger spring to make it easier to set.
Good luck on your project. The first time I did mine I went to a match and found out I couldn't drop the hammer, had to do field gunsmithing and use the hard trigger.
Fox :thumbsup:

PS: Could be a good cleaning of both might help

WoW!
You guys are great!!
These triggers are a dream to pull now!!
One more question however.
I didn't notice before I made the adjustments, but now after the hammer has fired, you can still pull the set, and front triggers with the hammer down all the way (like you can at 1/2 cocked position).
Should it be like this? Or did I over adjust somthing?
Like I said, I didn't notice if maybe it was this way before I adjusted.
Thanks so much for all your help!!

Darren

You should be able to set the trigger and fire it with the hammer down, but like i said before, you shouldn't do it with the hammer on half cock. There is a chance of breaking the sear if you do.

Thanks Rebel.
My bad. I should have read your first post closer, and It would have answered my question. :eek:
Thanks for your patience.
And thanks evryone for all the good input!

Latest posts

Back