• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cumberland Fowler Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSzychulda

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy an English influenced fowler, and the Cumberland Fowler by Early Rustic Arms really caught my eye and the price is right. I would call him, but with the weekend, his shop is closed.

I am trying for a late 1760-early 1770 fowler for a farmer/hunter and was thinking this:
42" maybe 46" barrel
Iron Mounted
Walnut or plain Maple Stock

Reading my book "Early Frontier Guns" it seems a lot of "trade" guns were iron mounted with the finer guns in brass. I am thinking iron for the cheaper working mans gun.

I see ERA stocks most the guns in plain maple, but I know walnut is more appropriate for a trade gun. When did fowlers begin to surface which were produced by local gun builders with maple stocks or other local woods? I actually prefer a dark stained plain maple, but am not sure how correct it would be.

Any thoughts or suggestion for this gun? Also anyone have current experience with his turn around from the time of the order? I am thinking of getting the rifle in kit or in the white and finishing it myself (it would be my 3rd kit).

Thanks all!

cumberlandfowler052cu.jpg

wall18me.jpg

At that time period, fowlers were made by local smiths often from parts salvaged from older guns and military muskets, English and French. Parts and guns were also available through the Dutch in New York. Guns made locally would probably be made of local woods so I'd think maple and walnut would be suitable. Imported guns might have European walnut stocks but guns made in the colonies would more likely be maple, walnut or even chestnut. Think you'd be safe having the gun made however you like and still be kosher!

Reading my book "Early Frontier Guns" it seems a lot of "trade" guns were iron mounted with the finer guns in brass. I am thinking iron for the cheaper working mans gun.
You've got that backwards, iron mounts reflected a higher priced gun.
If you're looking for an "english influenced gun" then any stock wood is OK. If your looking for an english trade gun or english fowler, then walnut or beech are really your only choices.

Thanks for the quick replies. Mike I consider you an expert in this field, what time period do you think fowlers were being produced here? I don't want to make up some story to warrant a re-stock of a trade gun in maple, but if I use maple I want to have an accurate story that it was simply purchased that way.

I appreciate the input on the iron hardware. I am sure most my books show iron as more prevelent due to these being more expensive guns, hence they were cared for more and survived. Correct me if I am wrong. I have considered brass but I love the look of aged iron. Do you think iron is still appropriate? A mix of brass and iron would be nice as if they were salvaged from other guns but may be beyond what I can accomplish tastefully and correctly.

Most of what I have read place fowler production from the Revolutionary War on, but I am sure there are some documents or excerpts I have not come across.

Thanks

It's a case of economics. Labor prices were high in the colonies. The english could make fowlers and ship them over here and sell them cheaper than the colonial gunsmiths could make them.
If you're set on maple I'd consider a composite gun, one made of old parts. Maybe alittle bit of this or that.
Aged iron is nice, and you know I've done alot of it. :thumbsup: But , an iron mounted fowler with english parts on it stocked in maple has to be considered a restock..... That's a pretty popular "story" that goes along with alot of the maple stocked fowlers that are being bought and sold in today's market. :winking:
Glenslade's book on new england fowlers is an excellent resource book for early colonial American made fowlers. I think TOTW sells it and I highly recomend you read it before you make a choice of what you get built.

The more you deviate from the common the more "wild" your story behind the gun must be to support your personna or you need to build your personna to account for a higher priced gun. This discounts the possibility of some personnas.

Your best bet would be to choose the stations in life your personna is trying to emulate and let that direct the use of Iron or Brass. On the otherhand if the gun is just for your enjoyment and hunting and not to support depicting living history than you can build whatever you want. Just be aware that you will have the personna problem should you want to get into living history later.

The English premier guns as a norm utilized iron furniture, brass was on mid/lower priced ones, same with more than a few makers in North America.

Iron mounted guns other than Jagers, Military Muskets, and French Trade Guns were very rare in the 18th c. I love iron mounted guns, but I'd never have an iron mounted gun built for 18th c. reenacting. If it's just going to be a hunting gun, it doesn't matter. :v

Even French guns mounted in iron should be considered a more expensive gun than a brass mounted gun. In most cases they would be considered a fusil fin rather than a fusil de trait. The iron mounted guns were probably given as gifts to allied individuals as a reward for loyalty, or that sort of thing. There were far more Brass mounted French guns traded to the natives than iron.

I just happen to have a Cumberland Fowler on order from ERA right now. Larry actually makes two different versions of it and mine is the one shown on this page. It is the second from the bottom.
rackofguns.JPG

I am having it done with brass furniture, Chambers lock, walnut stock, .62 cal, and a 42" barrel, in-the-white finish. I wanted something along the lines of an imported English fowler and this was the what I liked within my budget. I ordered it in Feb 2005 and as of Feb 2006 he has not yet started work on it, when I spoke to him last month his turn around was 14 to 16 months.

Well I just called ERA, and it is a 16mo or more wait and he no longer offers guns in the white. I may still order the kit but with a new baby don't know if I have the time right now. I may look around some more.

They are nice looking guns, let me know how you like your Cumberland when you get it. I think the walnut and 46" barrel were good choices.

Just a suggestion, if you are going to get a kit, spring for one of the Chamber's kits.

I don't know about the others, but i for one appreciate the NEW you. It is a lot nicer to hear Suggestions instead of the old approach. Thank you.

"turn around was 14 to 16 months"

I really like the Cumberland Fowler quite a bit, I think it'll be my second gun that I'd like him to build for me. My first is the Cumberland Rifle or maybe the Bucks Co. longrifle, not sure which yet.
With that long of a time turn around time I'd almost rather just get a Bess or Charlesville or maybe even a NW Trade gun but I just don't want to spend a semi-custom price on a mass produced Italian gun.

Back