• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

custom made rangerods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30gman

Pilgrim
Reaction score
What company can I phone and tell them what caliber and the length of range rod I need and they will make it up for me?

If you want a metal range rod, they are not that difficult to make. A shotgun cleaning rod, cut off and new threads added to fit your cleaning jag, with muzzle guide, works great. For shorter barreled rifles, a piece of drill rod, can be treaded for a knob on one end, and drilled and tapped for jag on the other end.

Unless, you're wanting a replacement ramrod ?

I have been building them with steel rod from the hardware store. Can also go with the zinc plated.

Yep, build mine from plain steel rod (5/16"/8mm works fine for me). Make a muzzle guide from nylon. When you consider how much it's handled while loading/cleaning, with all sorts of lube and cleaning stuff on it, it won't rust!!

dikman said:
Yep, build mine from plain steel rod (5/16"/8mm works fine for me). Make a muzzle guide from nylon. When you consider how much it's handled while loading/cleaning, with all sorts of lube and cleaning stuff on it, it won't rust!!

Yeh, right, they won't rust. :bull: :haha:
This is the first rr I made after getting into this ml insanity in 1970. Originally had a wood handle made from a chunk of an old hammer handle. I did use a muzzle protector on it and used for quite a few years. But, it did start rusting almost instantly when I began using it. Haven't used in decades, don't know why I carry it around in my rod case. :idunno:
steelramrod.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I was serious! None of mine are rusting, probably 'cos I use them! :blah: At a shooting session my hands inevitably end up black and coated with all manner of lube and stuff(!), and handling the rods (not just the handle) keeps them smooth and shiny.

No-one can ever claim that BP shooting is good clean fun. :haha:

dikman said:
I was serious! None of mine are rusting, probably 'cos I use them! :blah: At a shooting session my hands inevitably end up black and coated with all manner of lube and stuff(!), and handling the rods (not just the handle) keeps them smooth and shiny.

That rust appeared within days of my first putting it to use.

I made mine from Stainless Steel from MSC Industrial Supply. 48 inch long 3/8 inch, drilled on center in lathe I use 8-32 threads and buy the ends from TOW. Also have used brass Muzzle protectors made by their suppliers. The handles I turned from oak in the lathe.

They do not rust but after a shoot I also clean them and oil them.

Cool :thumbsup: . I reckon a nice turned wooden handle looks much better than the metal/aluminium ones some people use. Having said that, once I get my forge going again I might make one from a chainsaw chain, which will give an interesting "damascus" pattern to it. It will be heavier than wood, of course, but should look a bit different :haha: .

Rifleman1776 said:
dikman said:

That rust appeared within days of my first putting it to use.

My #1 range rod is made from cold rolled steel and hasn’t rusted but once in more than 30 years, and that was my own fault.

I, too, have a steel range rod and, like you, I haven't used it in a long time. When I first got it, it did tend to rust but since I was using it pretty often, the rust was more like a rust browning. I kept it wiped down with oil between uses but it seemed to get rust spots on it anyway. Before using it, I'd dutifully wipe it off with an oily patch. Now, it just sits in my closet in a piece of 4 inch PVC that I use to hold all of my range rods, ram rods, etc. All of the range rods that I now most often use are made of brass. They are great rods but the brass reacts with the black powder residue and using them tends to turn my hands black (more than when using my only stainless rod). I still like my brass rods, black hands and all. Most of the black washes off and the rest of the stain wears off in a couple of days. For me, it is just a part of shooting my muzzleloaders just like the stink on my clothes and in my hair and I don't mind.

Back