• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pretty sure I do. Colt very likely did not make them. I’m sure you’re missing the point. A respected member comes on and shows something he created. And you come along and call BS on it because you object to the word screwless and that bothers you enough to call it out. If it made you feel good well I guess that’s ok, but you should expect others to come along and point out your criticism as unnecessary and childish. It’s a word. Not a single person was harmed. I’m sure you’ll disagree and not see your initial reply as a bit harsh and unnecessary. That’s ok. Mike is a big boy and can handle himself just fine. I just don’t like rude behavior.

Simple question, what were the years or range of serial numbers Colt made Screwless Frame cap and ball guns? I apologize for not knowing such basic information.

Any that came from Colt came through the Custom Shop so there's not a "range". It would be a specific request.
The only cap guns treated this way that I know of were commissioned by Tiffany. Thank you for your interest in my "Screwless" frame option.

Mike

I’m pretty sure I do. Colt very likely did not make them. I’m sure you’re missing the point. A respected member comes on and shows something he created. And you come along and call BS on it because you object to the word screwless and that bothers you enough to call it out. If it made you feel good well I guess that’s ok, but you should expect others to come along and point out your criticism as unnecessary and childish. It’s a word. Not a single person was harmed. I’m sure you’ll disagree and not see your initial reply as a bit harsh and unnecessary. That’s ok. Mike is a big boy and can handle himself just fine. I just don’t like rude behavior.
He's lucky you aren't Augustus McRae, we all know what he did to people displaying rude behavior! 😇

Me? I am just watching and learned something I had not a clue on. Granted on the history of the BP revolvers I am a rank amateur.

Some of the stuff I have read in history books and fiction, but none of it went into detail.

The only reason I knew about the Lewis and Clark pneumatic rifle was I read their journal. Powder got soaked several times and that was all they had while it was drying.

I probably would have brought a couple of cross bolts with me.

Doubt @45D needs anyone to defend him, he seems to do fine on his own, but if you feel the need, go to it.

Actually thought the OP was in jest. Good thing I didn’t respond in all caps. Can’t imagine that storm.

For giggles and kicks I did a search for ‘Colt made screwless frame’ revolvers, and according to Google they existed in cap and ball open tops based on text and photographs, Italian markings and all, cause if it’s on the internet….. Think it was three or four items from the top of the search results.

The reason I jumped on this one is we will now have newcomers discovering an offering from Colt that never happened, but that’s ok, a lot of folks also watch cable news broadcasts.

And for what it is worth, I researched the ‘screwless’ Colt frame after I handled one at the End of Trail years ago, though it was a SA so it doesn’t apply here. Though an interesting option for the high end artists/engravers.

1726366466337.jpeg

Any that came from Colt came through the Custom Shop so there's not a "range". It would be a specific request.
The only cap guns treated this way that I know of were commissioned by Tiffany. Thank you for your interest in my "Screwless" frame option.

Mike
Colt was reported to occasionally have made them in small lots. There was the question at the time as to whether they were welded up or made without the holes, one of those trade secrets I guess.

Doubt @45D needs anyone to defend him, he seems to do fine on his own, but if you feel the need, go to it.

Actually thought the OP was in jest. Good thing I didn’t respond in all caps. Can’t imagine that storm.

For giggles and kicks I did a search for ‘Colt made screwless frame’ revolvers, and according to Google they existed in cap and ball open tops based on text and photographs, Italian markings and all, cause if it’s on the internet….. Think it was three or four items from the top of the search results.

The reason I jumped on this one is we will now have newcomers discovering an offering from Colt that never happened, but that’s ok, a lot of folks also watch cable news broadcasts.

And for what it is worth, I researched the ‘screwless’ Colt frame after I handled one at the End of Trail years ago, though it was a SA so it doesn’t apply here. Though an interesting option for the high end artists/engravers.

View attachment 348602
I've done a mess of Google searches trying to find a screwless frame cap and ball gun and aside from the photo Mike posted I can't find a photo or text on them. Could you post that link? Just curious to see the guns.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back