• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting a blank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am determined to make a gun with just hand tools.I have the profile laid out and I have begun to cut a maple blank with a hand saw.My God that wood is hard.
Does anyone have any tips for any easier way of cutting a maple blank by hand, short of much effort and muscle? Will a rip saw make any difference for cutting lengthwise with the grain? Any advice would be appreciated before my arm expires.

You may want to try a japanese saw. They have a cross cut and a rip side. They cut on the pull so they can use thinner steel than a standard saw. Less mass to blade, less friction. A little oil on the blade to lube it may help. If you are ripping with a cross cut your making more work for yourself as it has more teeth and they're set differently. Just my opinion for what it's worth. BTW they invented power tools for a reason. My next build will be without power tools as well.But I'm equipped with plenty of woodworking tools. Good luck, Billy

Grandpa used to cut all his stocks out with a frame saw... well thats before he bought his band saw. :haha: Any way they are not that hard to make and you can use a section of bandsaw blade. I have been meaning to make one for some time now.

Try the Jap pull saw, they work great and you can slab your fore stock with it too.I used one for a long time before I got another band saw. Home Depot sells them, so does Sears.About $20.
A good rip saw is $100+
Use a coping saw for the curved sections

I have done it with a frame saw twice now and it is hard work keeping things straight. I mark topside and bottomside and ask my wife to make sure I am keeping on track. Make sure your saw is sharp and has enough set, but not too much.

Frame saw. I need to make myself a good one. I made one years ago. Just slapped it togethers out of scrap stuff. It works fine, but the frame is twisted, so it cuts crooked... I made the blade from a band saw blade. Other than cutting crooked, it actually cuts very quickly.

Many thanks to all who came up with suggestions. I bought a Japanese pull saw today and it is a REALLY big improvement over what I was using. I will start to put things together to build a frame saw or keep an eye out for one. Like probably everyone else, I used to see them all the time at garage sales for years and never bought one.

Latest posts

Back