• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. if you grind w a wheel flint/chert use an n95 or better mask the dust is glass razers in your lungs
  2. flint knapping is add
    DSC03191.JPG
    DSC03224.JPGDSC03229.JPGictiveface mask.jpg

I have used the green rock wheels in the Dremel kits too remove humps from flints...
The dust can cause silicosis....
Use proper PPE.... Pelase.👍

Flints are $1.89 ea. inc. shipping if you buy 50 from Stonewall Creek. There are a few humpies, but I save them and use a Mizzy wheel in a Dremel to flatten them after I use up the good ones. Mizzy is a brand name. I bought enough that I won't need the wheel for quite some time.

Here you can get an idea of how flints are traditionally made: Atlatls & Primitive Technology. I've been experimenting for several weeks now trying to get some decent flints from novaculite. I'm working with random size/shape spalls like bld posted above (1st pic), and I'm having some difficulty getting properly sized pieces to turn into flints (the guys on youtube who have decades of experience make it look so easy...😄) . I can see progress, however, so I think I'm getting there. I found learning to flake a new edge on a dull flint quite easy, and I also found pressure flaking an arrowhead from a precut flat obsidian blank quite easy (though I broke the first two), but knowing how and where to hit a chunk of rock to get a proper blade is a whole other animal. Learning is sometimes frustrating, for sure, but it's also quite fun once you figure out each new step.

Years ago I did a lot of rock cutting and shaping to make jewelry as a hobby. I tried making my own flints, using a diamond wheel rock cutter. I could cut them to any size and shape I wanted, but they sure did frustrate me trying to use them on my rifles...as the fractures could be running any direction. Some of them did okay, but some would split in any direction. I had some that actually split into two pieces on the first firing ! I think a guy is better off doing the more common pressure flaking.

Latest posts

Back