• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP's method works, but a better way would be to use a rotary cutter + backer to cut strips of say, pillow ticking (just follow the lines), which you can then lube and cut at the muzzle or cut into "squares," lube and use as is.

As for how wide the patch should be, I use caliber x 2.3 (round up or down) to determine that dimension. Hope these ideas help!

The OP's method works, but a better way would be to use a rotary cutter + backer to cut strips of say, pillow ticking (just follow the lines), which you can then lube and cut at the muzzle or cut into "squares," lube and use as is.

As for how wide the patch should be, I use caliber x 2.3 (round up or down) to determine that dimension. Hope these ideas help!
I do similar and usually cut at the Muzzle but square is handy at a match to minimize loading time and also handy for charging loading blocks. I have a rotary cutter and backer that I use to cut carbon weave but it's too much trouble for this. I just nick the edge with a knife and tear it off.

We have two topics going on this and I just want to say that I'm not intending to critique other people's choices. I m just throwing it out there for those who may be new to ml and exploring methods.

That works well. Thank you for posting, Landrel.

Although I don’t mind sitting around on a cold or rainy day and cutting patches, I’d like to come up with something like that for .32 caliber patches.

I will add that some of us prefer to use round patches, especially for a hunting application. Less waste of material, less waste of lube, they center nicely in a loading block, faster reloading in the woods, less movement during reloading, it doesn’t discolor or wear the bluing off of the end of a barrel, and no need to pack a patch knife.

Also, you can pack many already lubed patches into one cap tin if not using a loading block. I’ve used both methods. I have stopped and taken breaks on big logs during long or all day hunts and refilled my loading block. Having precut, preluded patches in this small tin works out nicely.

Living and hunting in the mountains, it’s all about efficiency. It’s packing light and compact when hunting for this ole boy.

Everybody to their own thang.

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use a rotary cutter and make square patches. I can cut a good amount in no time. No noticeable difference in accuracy with square vs round. And it's one more part of shooting BP I can be directly involved in.

To those men who've tried squares, have you benched them aside rounds? And the accuracy isn't affected at all? Curious and intriguing.
I have shot em round, square and cut at the muzzle.

And, no, I've not sat down at the bench and compared them. It's simply too obvious that there is no difference. At least to me. I use whatever method is appropriate to the situation..... except pre made round patches which I abandoned early in the ML journey over matters of cost, efficiency, consistency (store bought) and convenience.

I have shot em round, square and cut at the muzzle.

And, no, I've not sat down at the bench and compared them. It's simply too obvious that there is no difference. At least to me. I use whatever method is appropriate to the situation..... except pre made round patches which I abandoned early in the ML journey over matters of cost, efficiency, consistency (store bought) and convenience.
That sums it up well. Its not about accuracy issues. Its about what works best for the situation overall.

Back